Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a Surf Rod for throwing
4-6oz lead and bait. I also want to use this
rod as my introduction to distance casting.
Will the Zziplex 3500 blank handle both?I'm
looking at a 12-1/2' length. Fishing is my
primary purpose.

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
I started out distance casting with a zippy straight 8. Rod is capable of 600+ feet and is a wonderful fishing rod. Loads with 4 oz and will throw 8nbait with the best. Butt is a little fat 1.25 in diameter, that is the only negative I have with it.

great dual purpose rod if your primary use is fishing,

Tommy

·
Registered
578 Posts
ShoreBird , nothing wrong with the 3500 ,you could also look at the slightly stiffer 3500S or go to the primo series ,regular primo or the syncro . All will proform as good fishing and casting rods. :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Shorebird,

That last one is difficult !!

I have complete faith in using Zziplex blanks :) though other manufacturers are out there.

Led.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Shorebird,

Taking the UKSF Masters Final, you will find 40 of the top casters there, of which 2 or 3 will use Greys, 2 or 3 will use Cono-Flex, maybe 1 will use Daiwa, 2or 3 will use Century. Everybody else will be using Zziplex (thats 30+).

Snoods - this is the piece of line between the hook and the swivel or attachment, in the US I think you call them 'Snells'.

Led.

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
Led,

Out of the 30 or so Zziplexes at a given tourney how would the number break down as far as model? HST, FT, LT, Bullett, Primo Syncro, XTR??

Thanks,

Tommy

·
Registered
213 Posts
Tommy, The Dymic HST is one of the most popular Z's and I have personally fished with one and it is very nice for our east coast fishing and will easly land a large stingray too.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Tommy,

There is nothing like an easy question is there ;)

This is from Memory so it could be out a little !!

XTR's-4, Synchro LT's-3, Primo FT's-7, Dymic HST's-4, VMax F1-2, Dymic LT14-4, Bullet-1, Quattra-1 & T Zero-1.

I forgot there was also a Purglas 400/4 there too.

Led
(now with a headache)

·
Registered
797 Posts
tommy, was the "straight eight" zziplex you described earlier in the thread a quattro?

ralph

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,336 Posts
Not a quattro Ralph. Rod designed to throw 8n bait for "point style" fishing. Serves me well on the point as well as the beaches down in SE NC. Have landed Black tips and Spinner sharks 100 lbs + with it. I asked if it was based on any of the existing zzippy blanks and was told not. Sweet rod.

Tommy

·
Registered
15 Posts
The straight 8 and the old 2500 are exactly alike in measurements. The straight 8 has different fabric in it to handle the heavier weights. The straight 8 won't back cast very well.

·
Registered
797 Posts
tommy, sounds like a sweet rod, and one that is light enough to carry around all day. i am pretty envious.

ralph

·
Registered
797 Posts
jim, are you backcasting now? if so, how goes it?

ralph

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yo Ralph: I'm backcasting a little (with the Quattra). I'm just trying to keep it down the centerline, not getting your distances yet. It sure can handle the big sinkers.

·
Registered
797 Posts
jim, good to see i am not the only one backcasting. i am nowhere near mastering it yet. timing seems to be the key element to getting any measureable distance. i too find it difficult to keep it from going to the left. unfortunately on a crowded beach the lack of control can become a handicap. but i do agree with you it throws ALOT of weight. although i must admit the fisherman/spectators at obx were so curious about the backcasting style they were really good sports about me inadvertenly casting over their lines.

ralph

1 - 20 of 32 Posts