Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted on 22-Aug-2003 2:19:42 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there folks, what's shakin'? Well, my buddy Capt. Paul wasn't going to be fishing for a few weeks; due to work and vacation, and so, my fishing prospects were looking slim until I was contacted by Phil on the boat High Risk... Phil and I had met a few times at the Salt Pond's and Paul mentioned to him to, 'Take Zigh fishing so he doesn't go thru withdrawl or something dreadful like that', while he wasn't around. Well, VERY Thankfully, Phil and Joe invited me along for Thursdays adventure to the Fingers...... and here's what happened.......
It was 2:15AM and I piled in Phil's truck with he and Liz en route to Salt Pond's. We arrived, met up with Joe and Neil, loaded up the handsome Albemarle, and zoom, we were gone. The trip out was very calm and fast as we cruised at 26knots out to the fishing grounds. Along the way we encountered a large group of porpoise, which is always enchanting, and then had to do some maneuvering to avoid the live ammo testing the Navy was conducting. We were advised to stay clear of said area 10 miles, and plotted a course around the activity, yet still landing us in the desired start off point. Only slightly discouraged, we were able to get lines and and trolling by 7:30AM. It wasn't to long before one of the flat lines goes off, but we missed that one and then another before a solid hookset on a 15lbs. Gaffer. Nice fishy; skunk out of the boat, and we're all smiling. We ran an 8 line spread consisting of 2 flats(daisy chained jet head purple/black and green/blue), 2 shortriggers with daisy chained small jetheads, 2 longriggers with jet heads in blue/white, a bird off the shotgun with a trailing daisy chain and hoo, and what I now call the, 'STINGER', which was the inline run Drone out of the chair. The spoon was a 3 1/2 in blue/silver, 20ozs. of weight and 30ft. of Fluorocarbon......... All day we experienced short strikes. We started out going 1 for 5 on hits before we started boating some more fish. As we fished the E side of the Finger's we worked NE where the water was steely blue for the most part and 76* to 78*.... so I was surprised when we nailed some Albert's. The bites continued and the seas remained smooth and tranquil. We saw a good amount of life including a solo sea turtle, several groups of LARGE Manta Ray's, Pilot whales, porpoise, and plenty of Petrels. Absent from the list were sharks and Flying fish... We spyed some lobster bouys in the distance and worked our way towards them hoping to pick up some Mahi, but there were only a few lowly Bailers with lock jaw. So after a couple passes and cotemplating a drop of some fresh Albert, we head S from the bouy's and then it happens. First flat line clip pops, then shortrigger, then the spoon rod bobs, then finally there is something actually on the wwtfb blue/white longrigger as it sings out it's cry of mercy. At first the fish shimmers and flashes on the surface like a huge Gaffer getting ready to go airborn. Then after giving it a good look as the rod bends, and the huge fish thrashes about, we realize it's a Billfish. A BIG fish! The fish stayed on the surface way behind the boat and was there with the bait not taking line really, for about 60 seconds... Then the line went slack..... Now, I'm no Billfish expert, but that fish was way to BIG to be a White Marlin. I've been part of catching those fish before and this fish was too broad and so we concluded, a Blue Marlin. It was so strange watching all the lines get pulled on and retrieving them to find no tooth marks, just skinned or lightly torn baits. Sneaky fish..... So, we trolled on and had short strikes seemingly all the time. We had some hits passing over Manta Ray's too, but they were Alberts. We also had a fish Phil saw cut a flatline bait in half just after being put back in the clip. We went thru a lot of bait, and it wasn't until after noon time that we got a little bit larger fish on. Again, the wwtfb blue/white jethead was the ticket and this time we landed a 37lbs. YFT. Sweet! Had to give the boys doing the leadering and gaffing a hard time as I drove the boat, they did a GREAT job! A little ribbing just adds to the fun... Kept working that same area as there were good slicks, eddies, and fish. Had a quintuple knockdown we thought were small YFT's and ending up landing 3 BIG Fat Alberts... Maybe should have weighed one to see there proximity to citation size.... Anyway, things slowed and the afternoon lazed on before we had another good fish on the 'Stinger', we were thinking possibly Mr. Hoo, as we gladly brought another YFT to gaff. Again, good work fellas. This fish was probably 20-25lbs. and was a nice way to finish off the fishing day. Also, proved the inline gig is still working on the YFT's and maybe you don't always have to go planer. Pulled the spread and ran 26-28knots on the way in, even thru the slight chop of the Cape Henry area and Bay. It was awe inspiring to watch the rain storm over Va. Beach from the vista of the sea, and the perfect way to end the adventure.
THANKS to Joe and Phil for having me along. I had a really good time guys, and hope to do it again sooner than later. That's a nice rig you fellas are sporting. Keep up the good work........... Fish On

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laughing so hard, the devil gets scared....

Zigh
><((((*>

:D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks Zigh---nother great story.

You know, most of us live vicariously through the stories you tell:D :D

todd

...Tell me how I can get on one some day. What do they cost?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I know I'll probably be thought of as being anal retentive or worse labeled a whiner but there is a "Boating Board" a little further down the list. Even I'm lucky enough to post there sometimes. I promise I'll enjoy your recants of great trips like this one just as much on it. Besides I think the ones of us that are lucky enough to "venture beyond the breakers" need to pump it up before it becomes the Trading Post instead of a fishing board. Again just my $0.02

·
Registered
337 Posts
jay b,

are you just looking for someone to argue with or are you the owner of the board. Most of us don't get out much either, past the breakers that is, but I do recall the board this post was put on is called Virginia, not quite "shore-bound only" Virginia.

my 2 cents:rolleyes:

todd

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
........thanks for your input and all, but.....

...I've been asked by some folks to post here. I clearly labeled it, so if you felt it was a waste of space or time, no worries here. Maybe I'll post on the boating board ALSO..... Would that soothe you? Not trying to start an argument, but perhaps Friday afternoon isn't the time to worry about such things?! Fish on

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Not trying to stir th pot

;) But th last time I checked th name of th website is Pier and Surf. SF put a boating board on here for boating reports i assume. Anyway I went down this road last year an got yelled at, so post em wherever ya want. Its SF's baby not mine.:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rock on

I view the website pierandsurf as a community of web based fisher folks. I agree that the name precludes the nature of the majority of reports, but I just wanted to share my elation with those folks I know from this particular board about a trip I took. Too, it was labeled such that everyone would know it wasn't a shore bound report. An option is to have a post here directing folks to the boating board to view the report; that seems redudant. So, I certainly see the argument, but can't understand if the board isn't hopping with reports, why anybody would even care that I posted it. I hope to hit the pier or an inlet nearby very soon. Then I'll have another tale to tell. Hopefully, the guys on the boating board won't take offense if I post the results?! Anyway, hope I didn't disgruntle to many of you....
Have a super groovy weekend!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I'll have a most groovy weekend

as I will be heading to Hatteras.:)

I really like your reports Zigh, I can almost see th fish from your desrciptions. I just searched for a board for pier an surf fishermen (the others tend to cater to boat anglers) and here I found it. Anyway we will just agree to disagree an I promise not to whine about it again.:D Good luck on your next outing. cool

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ALL is good Cdog..........Good Luck to you in Hatterras.......
Thrifty Angler- will you pick me up a Snickers and a Sprite while you're out?!(LOL)

Crazy Fisherman

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Sorry...no can do Zigh

I won't be returning for the second half. Seems everyone has lost interest in the show.

And that's Ms. Crazy Fisherperson if you don't mind.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my mistake Thrifty.

Please excuse my ignorance there Thrifty.... I had no idea... But, female or not, I still would have loved a Sprite and a Snickers..... (LOL):D Maybe later someone else will get in on the show?! Until then.............

;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I want this stuff to appear on this board. I am a planker, and when someone gets to go offshore for a good story I wanna hear about it here. When I ever get a boat, I'll move on over to the 'other board'.
When one of 'those' guys with a boat goes and surf fishes, I don't hear all his buddies whining about him posting on this board, where no one knows him.

Thanks for the report, Zigh.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I second that fish! Cdog wasn't really giving you a hard time Zigh just giving you a heads up thats all. I remember last year some people were huffing and puffing about where threads need to be started. :rolleyes: Don't think anybody is gonna say much this year with the crappy fishing we have had compared to years passed. Just glad to see some people taking their adventure elsewhere beside the planks and sand. :cool:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I guess I may have learned a leason about posting something that's possibly controversial on a fri. afternoon and not looking over the boards until mon. a/m, I miss out on way too much fun. You guys kill me, I'm neither trying to start an argument or take over possesion of the board (believe me I'm nowhere near quaified as SF, I can hardly turn on the computer), I was simply voicing my opinion. The last time I checked that was still allowed in this country. Besides if you can get past the first couple lines of my post without your blood pressure blurring your vision you can see that. I do all types of fishing, and have posted here on this board since last year. I may not "know" you but there is a lot of people on the board that I "talk" to that I've never met face to face either. The point I was trying make is that I read all the boards here and on other fishing boards and like most folks thought that the format was created for a reason. Try not to get so easily upset or offended, maybe try something relaxing like fishing.:D :cool:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Zigh -

Thanks for posting your story about your trip. Are you a professional writer? LOL...I thought I was reading an article out of In-Figherman or Field and stream or something.

Youre descriptive writing is excellent, and I wouldn't have been mad to read it anywhere.

Can't wait for the next one.
Some people just cant help putin in thier 2 cents...just ingnore them.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. I come here for the type of fishing I do Pier and Surf. Boating belongs eslewhere, since they have 10 times the advantage.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Round three! DING DING DING DING! :p I think we all need to take a deep breath and slowly let it out!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm done

......... It isn't worth worrying about.... Let's go fishing from shore somewhere and post some reports for crying out loud!! I'd rather see all this energy used to catch fish.............

><((((*> ><>

.....and yes this was edited 'cause I'm not trying to argue with you folks, just trying to share fishing with you. PEACE

1 - 20 of 27 Posts