Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been given the green light to purchase $3500 in gear to outfit some morale gear on a boat.

Crew of 24 people (probably going to get 4/6 rod and reels).

What would you get? I mean everything.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Are we talking about gear that make their jobs easier but belong to the ship or gear your gonna personal let them have and take home?

·
Registered
231 Posts
6 new offshore quality 50# rods and reels may leave you with enough for a 6 pack but probably not.
I've go 3 kunan 50# rods and 3 shimano 50 wide reels for 700 or best offer in the market place.
all in good shape

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Don't think it can be done within that amount
I don't think it is enough either.

Morale will be pretty low if there is only 5-6 rods to share between 24.

What kind of boat goes out with 24 men anyway? Is this a Greenpeace expedition?

I was out Drinking last Friday night with "Bad Morale" and believe me it takes a lot of $$$ to overcome.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been busy with work and haven't had to check this thread.

Vey amusing responses!

Yes, only $3500. Max allowed to purchase on on ticket. I unfortunately was not able to make the trip personally to the Worldwide Sportsman in Islamorada to make the purchases but we came away with mostly store brand stuff and loads of tackle.

Not all 24 of us will be fishing at once. At least four of us on watch. Half of the people probably don't care to wet a line.

We ended up with 4 conventionals rated for the 50 pound range. Will be used for trolling for tuna and wreck fishing for grouper. Also picked up 4 spinning reels to go after mahi in weedlines and flotsam. Mostly for the ones that can't cast. So we will have 8 lines wet at the least and some people will probably bring some personal rods too.

Greenpeace, no. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCG_Sentinel_class_cutter

I was part of a crew that took her from Grand Isle, LA to Key West, FL and we did it in twenty hours in 10 footers. NOT a fun ride but felt good knowing she could do it and not break. Didn't see a single other contact on RADAR in the Gulf. You know it's a fun ride when you find seaweed in the mast 35 feet up.

Vehicle Boat Rescue and salvage ship Watercraft Ship

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Been busy with work and haven't had to check this thread.

Vey amusing responses!

Yes, only $3500. Max allowed to purchase on on ticket. I unfortunately was not able to make the trip personally to the Worldwide Sportsman in Islamorada to make the purchases but we came away with mostly store brand stuff and loads of tackle.

Not all 24 of us will be fishing at once. At least four of us on watch. Half of the people probably don't care to wet a line.

We ended up with 4 conventionals rated for the 50 pound range. Will be used for trolling for tuna and wreck fishing for grouper. Also picked up 4 spinning reels to go after mahi in weedlines and flotsam. Mostly for the ones that can't cast. So we will have 8 lines wet at the least and some people will probably bring some personal rods too.

Greenpeace, no. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCG_Sentinel_class_cutter

I was part of a crew that took her from Grand Isle, LA to Key West, FL and we did it in twenty hours in 10 footers. NOT a fun ride but felt good knowing she could do it and not break. Didn't see a single other contact on RADAR in the Gulf. You know it's a fun ride when you find seaweed in the mast 35 feet up.

View attachment 17417
Hope you fellas picked up a couple long handled gaffs, I would not recommend shooting any large Tuna's (to subdue them before being brought on deck) with whatever small arms you fellas pack on board, due to ricochet issues:)

If you would like I can ship out (In summer when the weather is nice) for a cruise and instruct everyone on all aspects of fishing (as long as I can bring my own rations of Rum, and I get to shoot the machine guns and cannon)

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Hope you fellas picked up a couple long handled gaffs, I would not recommend shooting any large Tuna's (to subdue them before being brought on deck) with whatever small arms you fellas pack on board, due to ricochet issues:)
One round from the Cannon should produce lots of chum . . . LOL ! ! !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts