1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
I gotta say I see these threads, but I've never had anything pop up. But then again, I only use my computer with Firefox or Google Chrome. Are these issues on a PC, or are they on mobile? I've only used a phone once or twice to look at the site (a couple of years ago), but I get a bunch of foolish popups when I try to look at the local newspaper, which leads me to think that a lot of the BS is probably related to phone security issues. I don't know.

B

·
0 Posts
I gotta say I see these threads, but I've never had anything pop up. But then again, I only use my computer with Firefox or Google Chrome. Are these issues on a PC, or are they on mobile? I've only used a phone once or twice to look at the site (a couple of years ago), but I get a bunch of foolish popups when I try to look at the local newspaper, which leads me to think that a lot of the BS is probably related to phone security issues. I don't know.
This only happens on mobile devices. And, it stems not from phone security issues, rather, with the third party companies who advertise.

I know this site doesn't like links but here's one to a site that explains it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/pop-up-mobile-ads-surge-as-sites-scramble-to-stop-them/amp

B

·
0 Posts
An excerpt from the story.

"What enables these ad redirects to haunt virtually any browser or app at any time, rather than just the sketchy backwaters in which they used to roam? Third-party ad servers that either don't vet ad submissions properly for the JavaScript components that could cause redirects, or get duped by innocent-looking ads that hide their sketchy code."

·
Registered
263 Posts
Are you guys who are having problems with popups viewing the page in enhanced mobile view. i always view it in the computer version view. i have not had a popup since we had the first batch of problems. i just tried viewing on my new iphone and had no problems. Switched to enhanced mobile view and had 2 popups in under a minute. switched back to standard view and no popups. if you guys are viewing in enhanced view try switching back and see if that helps. i have nothing but issues in enhanced mobile view.

·
Administrator
319 Posts
Are you guys who are having problems with popups viewing the page in enhanced mobile view. i always view it in the computer version view. i have not had a popup since we had the first batch of problems. i just tried viewing on my new iphone and had no problems. Switched to enhanced mobile view and had 2 popups in under a minute. switched back to standard view and no popups. if you guys are viewing in enhanced view try switching back and see if that helps. i have nothing but issues in enhanced mobile view.
What browser are you using on your iphone?
-Philip

B

·
0 Posts
I switched to desktop view and so far no ads. But, what needs to be done is the site owners drop the ad company putting ads on their site. Enhanced mobile view is easier to use, we shouldn't have to avoid it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I switched to desktop view and so far no ads. But, what needs to be done is the site owners drop the ad company putting ads on their site. Enhanced mobile view is easier to use, we shouldn't have to avoid it.
good luck with that idea. They in it to make money, not pass around tips on fishing. If this was a pay to join site it would die. I've added apps that are pop up blockers to my phone and so far it's been a huge improvement. Still get an occasional one but it's been a long time since the last one on this sight.

·
Registered
388 Posts
OK...while we're on the subject of site misadventures.... I'm a regular on the South Carolina/Georgia forum. We have a lot of problems with newbies coming in and trying to post pictures but ending up with having to click a link or dead links instead of displaying the picture.. We have a rule on our forum......"If there's no picture, then it didn't happen!" I'm assuming that this is site-wide and not just some Yankee plot to discourage us Southerners from catching all the fish that Winter over down our way. Are y'all looking into a fix that permits a photo or video to attach using the buttons above with a simple click? Thanks....

View attachment 59197

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
ok...while we're on the subject of site misadventures.... I'm a regular on the south carolina/georgia forum. We have a lot of problems with newbies coming in and trying to post pictures but ending up with having to click a link or dead links instead of displaying the picture.. We have a rule on our forum......"if there's no picture, then it didn't happen!" i'm assuming that this is site-wide and not just some yankee plot to discourage us southerners from catching all the fish that winter over down our way. Are y'all looking into a fix that permits a photo or video to attach using the buttons above with a simple click? Thanks....

View attachment 59197
Amen!!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts