Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys and gals lets get a real discussion started. I would like to know if anyone else out there feels the surf and pier fisherman are not fairly treated when it comes to the size regulations. Lets start with the flounder regs. between my buddy and myself in the last three weeks have caught and released around 150 to 180 flounders and put two legal fish in the cooler. This is absolutely stupid. Don't get me wrong We had a ball, but I feel again we are paying the price for the boaters and commercial fisherman. I just about flip when I see a 10" flounder in the market. Maybe they should have a different set of regs for pier and surf anglers. Say 3 fish a day over 15" or something like that. I'm not trying to empty the bay the commercial guys are doing a good enough job of that already. Just look at the crab situation, enough said. As you know we only have so many places to fish as it is. I have more thoughts, does anyone else.

surffisher

·
Registered
225 Posts
hmmmmm......not a bad idea. i dont think the state would go for it though. i do think its unfair commercial guys can keep fish we have to let go.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah I agree with catch and release but sometimes I think that we are just releasing them so the commies can net em up later. I think they need to raise some of the size limits so coms don't kill our population of fish. Maybe then there would be more keepers for us to C&R and to keep a few. But like Richmond said politics won't have it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah i think that would be a good idea i was on Seagull a few weeks ago and some guy caught like 20 somethin flounder all day and not one of them was a keeper. But i dont think the state would do that, be nice if they did though. I mean c'mon flounder have to be what like 17 1/2 inches thats crazy they dont get too much bigger then that anyways. Ive seen some good size ones but they are rare and im happy if i catch one thats like 10 inches.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think the flounder size limit has something to do with how large they need to be to reproduce.
I agree that it's unfair what the commercial fisherman are doing. Fish traps and commercial trawling in the bay should have stopped years ago. I found these figures on the VMRA website:
Economic impact from recreational saltwater fishing in VA = $330 million.
Gross commercial catch = $26 million.
Its too bad were not better organized.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Let's see Special rules for people fishing from a pier or from the surf, I think not. Seperate but equal, we tried that in the past, I didn't like it.
Pier and surf anglers have a different set of problems than boat anglers. We have to wait until the fish come into our zone, we can't go where they are like a boater can. But, that doesn't mean we can't catch keeper fish, we just have to alter the times that we fish to agree to the times the fish are there.
I have fished the surf and piers all my life. I have caught 4 lb. Flounder off the Grandview Pier, I have caught 7 lb. Specks in the Kitty Hawk surf, but, not every time I go.
I have caught two 4lb. Croaker this year from the beach, just fish at night when they come in to feed.
My point is, if you choose to fish from the pier or shore, that's your choice. But you don't need your own set of rules.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well my experience with commercial fishermen is their not in it for the money. My folks and friends use to seine the Carova, Carrolla area of NC. I couldn’t understand as a kid why they would leave so many fish on the beach. It’s an easy answer: They had too. They weren’t allowed to take the fish out of the slot, so they would rot on the beach! My friends, I would much rather see those smaller fish, and even the larger ones (bigger reds out of the slot for example) in the market or ON MY DINNER TABLE. Those nets are hard on the fish and there just isn’t any way to revive them.

To me there’s just no explanation for that kind of waste!

Size limits are the fuel for all of the waste we hear of, the poundage one takes should be the measurement. Not to mention all the recs that take illegally, and we’ve all seen that!

BTW: Good points Wilber! Hey I’ve seen that pic before, on the MoWire maybe!

FISH HARD

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hey Hic,
Yea that shot has been around, the MoWire, a couple Mag covers and a lot of message boards. That is my oldest son (now 20) on Thanksgiving Day on the beach in Kitty Hawk, NC. and yes it was a cold, cold day.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Right-oh Wilber, thought it looked familiar, good to hear ya poken around here. Nothing like seeing your kid pull in a keeper. And they love it when they can out fish Dad;)

Just checked a local boating board and there still hammering the big flounder. The fishing restrictions may not be perfect, but something’s working.

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I really feel ya on these fishing regulations, I've been out fishing many a day and threw back over 10 fish that were under Reg. Only to stop at the fish market to buy fish smaller than the ones I've just released. I don't think its fair--I've even went as far as no longer fishing for Flounder at my favorite holes, I think this really is not the result they were looking for with the size regs. but that's were it has taken me. I no longer can go out and enjoy my favorite pastime without always pulling out my chart to check regs. of different species. I can agree with a creel limit and I can also go with a size limit as long as it is within reason. but 17.5" for a Flattie is rediculous.
The good book say everything from the sea with scales and fins are good---Only to have the state say it's not---Whatever happened to seperation between church and state. The bible says I can keep it---The state says I can't

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know this is probably going to rub a few of you the wrong way, but it is just my thoughts:)

I think that the state should raise the flounder size limit to 21 inches for 2 years. (without active protests of the commercial fishing industry, we will never get them to improve their techniques to protect the smaller fish). The reason I say raise it is this: I fished rudee inlet on the railing for a few weeks adn caught nothing but small flounders 171/4 and less. I finally caught a keeper--just 17 1/2 inch adn I through it back. Everyone on the wall said something to me about thowing it back. Any all of it was condosending(sp). I couldn't believe it. I think the reason all of you don't catch many keepers is because most of you, and I am not pointing fingers at anyone, keep every single one that is 17 1/2 in and bigger. Practice catch and release sometime. Only you can solve the problem.

Do you really think that allowing people to keep even smaller flounder than 17 1/2 in. is going to solve the problem? I don't.

Again, I don't want to offend any of you. I too would like to be able to go out and catch a decent fish sometime to take home, but how can we if we are not giving the fish a chance to grow up?

Todd

·
Registered
337 Posts
If my thought was unclear to anyone, on the third year I would like the size limit back down to 17 1/2 inches adn we all will have plenty of keepers in the bucket-I promise.

todd:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GREAT this is the response I was looking for . Now what can we do about it?. I'll tell you another thing we better keep an eye on the stripers cause their netting the s**t out of them too. I guess it won't be to long till we'll have to wait another 7 or 8 years to catch them.

Dave

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Well sounds like sourgrapes from the peanut gallery.
The flounder regs(rec)for the last two years have been put up for a vote/input by the VMRC. VA had to reduce their catch by a percentage because we had gone over the quota. And Jack Travelsted (SP sorry) monitoried the results one option was 3 fish and 15.5 inches, but he told me that they did not get many of those(I asked him after a meeting, he is very easy to speak to as are all involved). The info was posted here this spring By Tom Powers(or a CCA Alert) if I remember correctly. The real answer is get involed. Join the CCA or another fishing club since the groups have abit of clout and will alert you when there is something important is happening. Oh if you don't like something about a organization it is easier to change from the inside.
Get involved!!!!!!!! So at least you can say you tried. I know some of you are involved but I suspect most are not. I need to be more involved myself. Here is a link to the calendar of events for the VMRC.
http://www.mrc.state.va.us/calendar.htm

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Diggers Right

You can go to meetings, these guys are easy to talk to and your input is needed. I was involved in the begining with the SWL and my suggestions were acted on.

PS You want bigger flounder, close the season on the East Coast to Recs. and Coms. alike for 3 years. It worked for Stripers. Besides there are other fish to catch than Flounder.

·
Registered
225 Posts
yeah i kinda like that 3 fish at 15.5 in. all i want is some to eat. im not all about filling my freezer as full as possible. the reason we keep every fish right at 17.5 is we might not get another legal one. ive cought like 15 flounder this year and the closest one to legal was 16.5!! i would be happier if i got 3 at say.... 16 in than 1 at 18. i just wanna catch some keeper fish. if fisherman cant keep fish "in the slot" why cant they sort through them and let the undersize ones go?? im not complaining, im just curious... i dont know the regs for comm. fisherman.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I'm with Wilber on this one. A moratorium would do wonders for the stocks.

While we're at it, I think there should be a full 3-year moratorium on blue crabs, but that's another issue.

I was in Lexington Market yesterday to grab some crabcakes at Faidley's and saw tons of fish on ice. When I saw a bunch of tiny flounder and stripers my blood boiled. The only way I could soothe myself was with a beer :p

·
Registered
441 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me that the size limit for the trout is so small (12 inches). I say it should be at least 16 inches.

I think there should be a closed season for flounders for the shorefishermen during the summer when you catch mostly small ones anyway.

Eight 17.5 inch flounder is a lot of fish and the boaters could achieve this very easily. I think you should only be allowed to keep 5 maximum. For most shorefishermen it is not easy to catch 5 large flounders in a day.

A slot limit could be used like you can keep one fish 15-17 inches and 5 maximum. The other four must be greater than 17 inches. The way it currently is, the boat owners have a major advantage.

I know in the Eastern Shore, some of the boaters slay them big time. It's rare that they get checked out like the shore fishermen.

·
Registered
225 Posts
yeah... i do like the slot limit idea too. if it works in freshwater lakes and rivers we could make it work here. 3 fish between 15-16in and 2 more over 171/2 or something like that. we dont deed 8 fish per person per day. you dont need to keep 8 flounder a day
thats too much. at least i think so.i think if you close the flounder fishing for a year you would hurt the fishing industry around here. wouldnt you???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts