Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently writing a book on politics and fishing. The premise being how working in the chaotic and whacky world inside the Beltway drove me to fish with a passion.

No book partially on fishing would be complete without some good fishing tales. I'm asking for your help!!

Send me some of your most unusual/uplifting experiences on the piers and surf.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Cutbait,
I didn't know you were a runner or an author until your wife included me on an email for your book signing.
One of the funniest things I have ever seen fishing was when this stupid guy named HuskyMD loaded up his kid's stroller with his gear and used it as a fishing cart.

This guy named SandFlea took a picture of it with his digital camera and used it as a threat against Husky.

Seriously, memorial day weekend at Point Lookout a man caught a striper after midnight. I informed him of the no fish after midnight rule and he threw the fish back. But this one guy was so mad about the rule, he turned and threw his entire setup into the water because "if I can't keep 'em, why bother fishing?".

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Cutbait,

Husky MD - So that's the stroller story!

Cutbait - Picture this:

San Diego, CA - A crowded fishing pier in the early morning hours. The pier is about 30' above the water and the only way to get your catch up onto the pier is with a long yank of the rod while yelling "heads-up"! :eek:

A bunch of us regulars are catching mackeral and bonito on "bonito splashers", a rig which consists of a cast-a-bubble partially filled with water followed by a large, white bucktail streamer. The intent is to cast out and reel frantically to make the bubble splash. The bonito come up to take a lookie-lookie, see the white bucktail and the rest is history. You yank the fish over the rail and continue fishing. :cool:

Three guys (Let's call one of them "Joe Bongo") come on to the pier with brand new fishing equipment. After they put line on their reels, they hook up some bonito splashers and start working the water. Two of them are fishing the end of the pier which faces open water, and their friend "Joe Bongo" fishes the pier area behind them which faces the shoreline behind them.

One guy finally hooks a large mackeral, plays it for awhile, and finally gets it to the pier. He give a quick yell of "Heads up!" to let everyone know the fish is coming "uptown". Then in a feat of strength not seen on this planet, gives it the strongest yank I have ever witnessed in my life. The mackeral "shoots" straight out of the air (straight up - mind you!), and proceeds to go airborne like a sub-launched nuclear warhead on its way to Russia! The regulars all start chattering "This is going to be good!" and scatter like roaches from bug spray ("Houston, we have a problem?").

The mackeral finally reaches the end of it's upward momentum and starts coming down - only to hit "Joe Bongo" (their buddy on the other end of the pier) SMACK IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD. Stunned, he tries to get up but is so dizzy from the mackeral that brought him to his knees that he can not even move! He yells and screams at his buddies and they end up in a fist-fight. :eek: :eek: :eek:

And the regulars laughed their butts off! It was probably a good half hour before anyone could resume fishing!

That is my .02.

Sandcrab :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cutbait,

My father and I went on a nightime catfishing trip on the Mattawoman Creek about 3yrs. ago. We were having a blast pulling in cats on average, one every 15min. or so (avg. weight 4-6lbs. All of a sudden my dads 9' surf rod goes parallel with the water. We knew this one was big. After a good battle I net the big cat, and bring it aboard. The cat is so big he cound not get his hands around it to dislodge the hook. So he kneels down and straddles the cat, and grabs with both hands around his neck, and I went to pull the hook. Well I think we can all guess what happens next. The big Kitty takes his big powerful tail, and gives my father one big slap in the family jewels. Needless to say he let go, and went down in a heep. After making sure he was going to make it, I dislodged the hook and we sent the cat back to fight another day.

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
after being overseas for 3 years i finally got back to the states and got to go fishing. i went out, threw in the line and waited. well i was so excited at the first hit i let off and yanked back hard with the excitement and anticipation of catching a fish after so long of not being able to fish............long story short, when i let off the line it went around the gills and i decapitated the fish.
i have settled down some now. :D

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Gotta throw this one in fellas. While fishing and crabbing I checked my crab pot. While pulling it up I remember just how heavy it was. I thought for sure I had at least a few crabs in there. But no. I had one single very large crab. He was so large he took up the entire space within the pot. I was on a rock that had a slight incline. All I could think about was hoping he didn't get out as I was tipping the pot constantly trying to climb off of that rock. There was no room for error. And to make things worse, I had on the thinnest cotton sneakers that the stores had to sell. I had seen first hand so many times what a crab could do to a foot inside a thin sneaker. It was determination alone that got me through it. You talk about being weak in the knees. It wasn't at all comforting that I did not know how to swim. Now getting him out of the pot was a challenge in itself. Must have been my first time talking or should I say pleading with "Jumbo Jimmy" or any other sea life. Still can't figure out how he got out of the pot and into the bucket. He was wedged in there really good. Can't figure how he got into the pot in the first place. And I will end by letting it be known that this crab was so large, he touched both sides of a five gallon painter's bucket, point to point. Can't say how he tasted though. I had to break him in half for my two sons. And just like the last ten or so Thanksgivings, I gave up all hope of getting a leg. I don't fish that creek any more. After the three and a half foot eel I caught a year later and the snake encounter, I had had enough. Piers and beaches sure are a welcome site to me anytime.

·
Registered
196 Posts
crabs are the bomb,
Where were you crabbing that you got the huge one and an eel?

Keep em tight.....Kurt

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
he he he he I knew the cart would eventually come out..I was a witness to that incident..

The only thing that happened tome last year was when casting from the pier at North beach I hit a duck in mid air..I hit it with a 5 oz weight at about 75 feet..Feathers flew and the duck dropped as if it was hit with by a shotgun..It swam off shaking its rear end..I'm afraid it did not last long after that because it was hit too hard..Turbo andy nicknamed me duck man after that..
It was posted last year..

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
TopSnipe Sorry for the delay. I had a yard sale and was very busy yesterday. Might have to change my name to "Yard Sales Are The Bomb" If there is a double post from me it's because I came out of the screen while replying by accident. My hands are tired. I guess they keep locking down from counting my stash. Good day indeed.

The crab, eel and snake were all from Scotts Creek in Portsmouth. The parking lot for Channel 27 was where I was fishing from. I have had many stripers and puppy drums on but not landed because of inexperience and being caught off guard using light tackle. I had heard stories of large fish being caught from those waters but I didn't believe it until I started hooking up with big ones. Even saw as many as 70 trout being taken within an hour after I school was pushed in by a hurricane coming up the Atlantic. My son caught 11 types of fish one day after an approaching hurrican washed in fish. One was a small black drum. Mother Nature can be good to us. There is now a fence blocking access to the water on the Channel 27 side since the drowning of a 12 year old in the waters there a few years ago. Nothing short of a ladder or a lifeguards platform is needed to get a cast in over the tall fence. The other side of the street is open though. That produces crabs and some fish that come in after a good rain. The rule of not fishing from the bridge crossover is enforced here. By staying off the bridge, having your license and casting away from the docked boats, everything should go just fine. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Crabs are the bomb,

Not to worry, didn't seem like much delay to me. I don't get out as much as I like, work, family stuff, lazyness, etc. :). So I can take my time in figuring out where to fish next.

Thanks for the info. I'll do a recon and try my luck there soon.

Keep em tight....Kurt

·
Registered
270 Posts
Okay here's one that I wish i had a picture of. Was down at Sandbridge on afternoon, some fellow was bottom fishing off the side. His rod started twitching so he set the hook and started to reel, looked like he had a decent one on. Well after a minute he got his catch up to the pier, turned out to be a 15in. fish skeleton! Was just like you see in the catroons.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far I think Sandflea and c.bone take the prize, but I'm still waiting to hear from my brother-in-law, the infamous Bottomdweller from Alabama.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was a hot, still summer day and we were fishing in the gulf of Mexico tied up to a small abandoned gas well. I hooked something on the bottom, it felt like it had some weight to it but wasn't fighting back. As it came to the top I saw I had snagged a large very dead (read "rotten) shark head with one of my expensive Owner hooks. As I went for a pair of pliers to try and retrieve the hook, the smell was so bad all the other guys on the boat were gagging and moving to the front off the boat sreaming for me to just cut the line, but I couldn't see giving up that hook. It was one of the worst smells of my life.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kids say the darnest things. Last Father's Day I took the family for father’s day. We got a late start and didn’t catch but one fish all day. The twins were
mostly lazing around and it didn’t look like David, one of the 6 year
old twins, was having a very good time. So I was a little surprised when
I asked him what he thought of the boat trip so far and he said “I’ll
give it two thumbs up”
” Well that’s pretty good”, I said. “Yeah,” he replied, “but the
other 8 fingers are down!”.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
C.bone and Sandcrab:

Mind if I use your stories in my book? I'll let you know if it gets published.

thanks for all the stories.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Cutbait,

No problem with using the story I told in this post. True story from San Diego pier.

Sandcrab

1 - 18 of 18 Posts