Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does bunker still rule, if you can get it fresh??

Or will any fresh fish like Herring, Mullet, Crocker and Squid work just as well this time of the year?

And can you get fresh bunker this time of year? Where?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
This time of year, fresh is very hard if not impossible to get. Frozen still available at some places, and much to the chagrin (?) of my darling wife who says I'm crazy to begin with, and hates fish except the canned tuna fish, puts up with whatever bunker I can find toward the end of the year to freeze, so, when bunker is hard or impossible to find, I got my "fix", it's like a drug addiction, but at least it is legal.

I can see a time when she finally says "Bob, get your own freezer, your bait doesn't belong in mine".

Anyhow, 'bout a month and a half and I start checking out the scene, and a couple of beach drives just to "look".

Have Jeep will travel. :D

Orest, by the way, if I can swing a day (major shake up at work so not sure when), and you can get off on a weekday, let me know, meet you down AI, load stuff into Jeep, have frozen, and we can fish, and wait for the real "fishing weather".

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shaggy sounds good. Just give me a few days notice. First few business day after the last Friday of the month are the only days I could not go.

This weekend I used fresh Herring and Croacker from a local Asian market.

A couple weeks ago, when I went to 3 R's in the Delaware I got frozen Alewives from Islands Bait shop. But it really doesn't have time to defrost before you get to the water.

If only I knew, what I know now I would have stocked up on fresh bunker when it was available.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
every striper i have seen or heard of being caught in the last 5-6 weeks,has been caught on clam.clam shells are all over the beach,so thats what they must be eating.

·
Registered
176 Posts
fresh bait

If I can't get fresh bunker then I will fish with any fresh heads that I can find. I will not fish frozen bait in the surf.Im sure some do with great results.If I cant find heads then I would fish eels.If no eels could be had ...........I don't know......NEVER HAD THAT HAPPEN!!! I'M fishing Hatteras Island sounds like you guys are up north a bit.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How far south would we have to travel to pick up some fresh bunker? I had the most luck last weekend on some bunker that I salted down then froze.

·
Registered
176 Posts
bunker

The first place that I know of for really fresh bunker(1 or 2 days old) is Hatteras jack in Rodanthe N.C. . Red Drum in Buxton is a little past it. To far to drive for bait...... You would be better off to just fish hatteras.. You might be able to get some skankie bait in va beach... If they are starving they will eat it.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Fish bucket, though no disrespect intended, and AIn't no slam intended, but Southside Johnny and the Jukes (meet and I'll explain, "But I Don't Want to go Home"), but clams are not a "naturual" piece down here, but as when I saw the BOSS, Clarence, the "Big Man" (CC) it AIn't the meat,...... Here at AI, it's bunker, but then, I am still waiting on my baby monster.

"It AIn't the Meat It's the motion", that makes that striper wanna walk!

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Shaggy...used CC on a session a bit ago( he's from Portsmouth)...sounded good but not like DaddyG who Ive used often.....give ya total story next time I borrow bait.....the R

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hey shaggy you need a freezer, I have a chest freezer you can have and I tell you what I'll even deliver to you,how's that for a deal. TRIGGER:jawdrop:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
i didn't realize when i replied,that you were in maryland.clams are the preferred bait right now in jersey.any fresh meat is real hard to get here.even fresh clam is not readily available.it's a real slow pick for bass lately.how about where you are?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I know that I have no problem getting clams here in MD. I can usually get 5-7 for a dollar. Still haven't gotten a fish on them though, but I have gotten a hit.

PS: I do have a vacuum sealer, it's the best for freezing fish

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
i can get fresh chowder clams at the seafood market,but they are not as good as surf turkeys.i find frozen surf turkeys better than fresh bay clams.i use clam year round for bass about 90% of the time.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Surf Turkeys

Fishbucket,
How big are surf turkeys? Where dou you purchase them in Jersey?Are they sold by the dozen, pre shucked, by the bucket? Could be up for a road trip to Jersey to get some for the freezer..located in Wilmington> 5 minutes from the DMB! Murph:)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Bait

I fish New Jersey cause thats where I live, but, I don;t freeze my clams, I salt them. When I am done fishing, I take what ever fresh clams are left and shuck them and put them in a tupper ware or any plastic container with a cover. Put kosher salt on the bottom, layer the clams and add salt on top, and don't be stingy with it. Have salted clams in the truck all the time, summer and winter.... they work... maybe not as good as fresh, but a dagon site bettern than frozen....salt shaker

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Most of the time,if the wind isn't blowing a gale,so the netters can still get out,there is fresh bunker to be had.. Frank and Frans(I think they close the 10th though),Hatteras Jack's,Frisco Rod and Gun(is a good bet),Dillon's Corner(is another good bet),and RDT..
IF none is available ,I will fish with frozen squid or live eels.. Never tried clams,but I'm sure they would work.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
surf turkeys usually run about 6"+.in season, most bait stores sell
them for about $.50 each in the shell.some shuck them and keep them in a brine mixture.a lot of times you find them washed up on the beach.but heres the kicker,if you pick them up you could get a ticket!in jersey you need a recreational clam license to use clams you find on the beach!what a state!
even when fresh,s.t.'s smell!i think thats what makes them such good striper bait.
salt shaker,that what i do with my clams,also.this time of year ,all you can buy in the bait shops are frozen.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anthony said:
How far south would we have to travel to pick up some fresh bunker? I had the most luck last weekend on some bunker that I salted down then froze.

Can you expanded on how you salt down your bunker before you froze them?

Type of salt?

How much?

Do you gut the fish first?

Once you un-freeze the bunker do you have to do anything before you us it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts