Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This AM I drove down from VA in my 4x4,extended cab,8' bed Ford. I parked in the lot on the south side of the Bonner bridge and pulled on my Hodgman breathable waders. Stuffed my new Penn tackle bag with an assortment of goodies including my Magellan Meridian color GPS, Nikon Binoculars, digital camera and of course, tackle. Carried my two nicest surf combos spikes, and half a dozen eels. I had my nice Cabelas pants on under the waders that zip out to make shorts in case it got warm. Hiked to the water just south of the jettie there and set up ready to catch big stripers (after all I tied up a lot of money on this crap and deserve to catch them). I patiently waited and watched as the boats worked the cleaner looking water well out of casting range. Looking at them through my nice compact field glasses that I got so I could carry them easily in my Penn tackle bag (it's nice, padded strap and all), I realized that none of them were looking to see if we were catching them from the beach. Also saw a group of birds working about a mile south of my position(marked on my $500.00 GPS in case it turned out to be a honey hole) and contemplated moving there. As I contemplated I observed the small fleet of boats moving in the direction of the birds. I took notice of how effortlessly the boats moved in that direction. I continued to wait and played with my toys there until my window of opportunity for fishing slowly close and it was time to pack all of this junk back the 20 minutes to the truck and drive the hour and a half back to VA. Now I know this is a "pier and surf " page but I'm thinking that that boating thing looks better! And what I really learned is that the wind, tide, and fish decide when you are going to catch fish when you are a pier and surf guy not how much you spent on your waders ($159.95). I guess I really knew that but maybe I needed to be brought down a notch. You should have seen me though, I looked good!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Looking Good

Man you gave me the laugh of the day!! Been there, done that. Only thing I see from someone who has had the boats etc.... when you get a noreaster, and no boat, you just surn up the heat,. You got a boat down there...worry worry.....I'll take the surf, in my opinion one off the beach is worth three off a boat...... salt shaker

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You should have taken a PIC of yourself for next months P&S Magazine's front cover . :p

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Well me an my $99 waders an my $200 rod an my $65 reel an $30 in gas caught two niceuns Sat. But I can honestly say th fish looked good I didn't. :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Re: Looking Good

SALTSHAKER said:
Only thing I see from someone who has had the boats etc.... when you get a noreaster, and no boat, you just surn up the heat,. You got a boat down there...worry worry.....
Amen, Brother Amen

Thankfully, I came thru Izzy with only minor damage.

But sitting here in PA, while the houses and boat in NC were in the path of the storm, was no picnic.

There is much to be said for simplicity.

The venerated author, Gordon McQuarry, was the first that I'm familiar with, to observe that:

You don't own material posessions, they own YOU !

K. I. S. S.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Welcome

You now have all of the gear, now just put in the time and read the board> the fish will follow. Have fun and welcome again!:)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Your damn right Smoothbore 54;owning a boat can be a pain too.Even owning a 4X4 can be a pain.All I need is a five gallon white bucket with bait,sinker an rigs;along with the proper rod and I'm ready to fish.;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don't let em fool ya....

its not about what you catch, its about how ya look fishing.......

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Yeah,ya gotta look good fer them ladies walkin the beach.....Yeah right.Slap on some Long johns,work cloths,a sweater,jacket,waders and a water shell....I am ready ta go fishin.

My gear in the other hand....sure does look purdy:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 2 happiest days of boat ownership. The Day you buy it and the Day you sell it.
Although i sure am glad my neighbor has one and drags me fishin all the time.:D :

·
Registered
472 Posts
Amen Again !!!

Does anybody need a Blow Boat ???

·
Registered
16 Posts
ive got me an 8 dollar lt weight rod w a 12 $shimano reel i use for whippin lures in the surf. a 30$ mid wt surf pole w a 20$ shimano reel for surf fishin. i do need some heavy equipment for the bigger uluas over here but i have a blast fishin almost everyday.when i break something i can replace it for cheap. aloha,cfd

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Aloha,Surfnfish!

Man good to hear from someone from the Big Island!

Used to live in Hawaii when my dad was stationed there many,many,many years ago.

I was too young to fish,but Hawaii is one of the places me and the Misses has yet vacationed to.

Well my freind,tight lines and keep up posted on the fishin over there........especially when us guys are freezin our tails off through this winter!:D and talkin about the Hot Ditch

·
Registered
904 Posts
surfnfish

Aloha Bruddah!!

I was stationed on Oahu, Submarine Base for two years 60 to 62. Loved the Islands and just made one trip to Kaui?? But always wanted to return, They say you come back,,,hope so....

Keep in touch and good luck with the fishes and wahinies....?? spelling?? salt shaker

1 - 19 of 19 Posts