Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following every event we get emails from people that are sorry they missed it. If only they had known that it would be so good. Well, here is your advance notice that it is going to be excellent. If you’ve been thinking about learning to improve your cast to catch more fish or to compete on the casting field, now is the time to act. Wouldn’t it be great if you could cast as hard as you wanted without getting a backlash? Anyone can learn long distance fishing and catch more fish. If you can follow simple instructions you can add 100-300 feet to your cast in one weekend.

Yesterday while standing in line at a sporting goods store I politely listened to another customer tell me that long distance fishing is a waste of time because he catches his big fish within forty yards. His idea of a big fish is a 2 pound Croaker or a 3 pound Bluefish. If he likes it, I love it. My idea of a big fish is a whole lot bigger. Once you’ve pulled a large Drum or Striper over sand bar at 150-200 yards, you’ll never forget it.

Are most of the fish on the beach side of the sand bar or are they on the ocean side? How can you tune a reel so that you gain distance and never have to thumb it? How to you select the proper rod and reel to land the big ones? On August 9th and 10th and again on August 16th and 17th, east coast anglers will have these and hundreds of other questions answered by three times world distance champion, Neil MacKellow. Neil has coached nearly 4,000 people around the world. He is bringing his “Going the Distance” long distance fishing clinic to New Castle, Delaware.

He’ll cover long distance rig designs (complete with a free sample rig for every participant), reel tuning and long casting techniques (complete with step by step printed casting guides and free copy of Neil’s latest video “Going the Distance.” You’ll get to exchange techniques and ideas with other east coast men and women. Yes, we have women registered for the clinic as well. We do not have any plans to repeat this clinic, so this is your first and last chance to attend.

Mark Edwards, US spinning reel distance holder with a small striper.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I agree about not catching what you can't reach,But lately the fish has been under my nose.

I usually rig a fish finder on both 11 and 12 foot casting Tica's and cast the dickens to @ least the 2nd sand bar @ 1 of my honey holes,but lately all the fish that I have been hookin up with have been between the underwater rocks and jetty.
I am using a 1/8th oz slip shot on 24 inch 15# test leader snelled to a #6 Long shanked hook.

The other day,using this rig on my 8 foot Key Largo trout rod and Daiwa 2500 Samuri reel,hooked up with 1-26 inch striper(hit by the jetty) 5-16+ inch croakers,4-17> cookie cutter flounders,and 4 -16,17,18 and 19 inch Specs.All fish caught on salt brined menhaden that I caught in the cast net a couple of weeks ago.All fish were C-N-R,except for the Specs.

The 11 and 12 foot Tica's did not have a single bite.Used fresh blue fish as bait.I had a couple of tugs but to my surprise,I was serving a buffet to blue crabs in the area.

I guess it has a lot to do with the amount of bait fish in the area and the time and conditions I went fishin.1130 am,SSE winds-blowing about 10-15mph and the tide was incoming.There was
also some nice flounder fishing current.I also guess the bait fish was being blown in close to the structure.

It was nice to not be skunked by my Tica's.I still believe that the big fish are out there and hope that I don't hook up with it on my trout rod,but preferably on the Tica's-But sometimes the fish are just that close.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts