Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished on the jetties from 8:30a - Noon using a variety of sized lead-heads and grubs depending on how hard the current was moving.

Caught/tagged/released 10 flounder (12" to 16") and missed a few others. There was a woman on the jetty next to me getting about as many croaker as I was getting flounder ... so she had a pretty good day too.

THROW MORE / SOME / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
You the man Jake!

Had a question for you Jake. As often as you fish those spots have you ever caught ones with your tag and what do you do with them. ie write down date and time of catch and where? Just a few questions cause might look into something like that up here in Md. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We regularly re-catch the tagged ones, often the same day or within a week or two, and sometimes over a year later. We write down the data on all recaptures and call it in to Saltwater Fishing Study folks.

The number of recaptures of fish caught/tagged the same day depends on the scope of the area we're fishing. And also I think the migratory tendencies, and time of year.

For instance, 2-weeks ago I tagged 23 on the Gloucester Pier and so far none of them has been recaught. Perhaps the Gloucester Pier, early in the season, is simply a Rest Stop as they keep moving up river.

However last week on the Oceanview Jetties, Kimoslobby and I tagged 17 and recaught 3 of them we'd caught earlier in the day, and 2 that we tagged the week before.

Last year, I caught the same fish 3 or 4 times in that same area all summer from June through September ... so maybe the Jetties are a summering ground for them. Especially from June on, once they get where they're comfortable and able to feed consistently.

As for same day re-captures, twice so far this year, I've recaptured the same flounder on consecutive casts (out of 345 tagging events this year). Meaning, I hooked him, pulled him to the beach, quickly measured/tagged him, threw him back, wrote down the data, made another cast and caught him on the subsequent cast. That happened only once last year out of 400 tagging events.

That basic learning is also the reason that we are big proponents of throwing back MORE / MOST / ANYTHING YOU WON'T EAT THAT NIGHT, because we know that you can conceivably catch the same fish over and over throughout the summer.

And the bigger ones have a greater tendancy to be recaptured than the smaller ones. 2-years ago we threw back 65 keepers and 450 shorts, and 15 of the keepers (23% if you're scoring at home) were recaptured (mostly killed / eaten) while only 50 of the shorts were recaptured (11%), and incidentally, a lot of those were killed/eaten as well.

But, hey, whadda I know, except that it's all interesting stuff and maybe in a few years when my boy is big enough to go fishing, I'll be able to use my graphs and charts and put him on fish everyday that he goes.

Man, that's a long post.

THROW MORE / MOST / SOME / ANY / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Jake you are the man that is some good stuff. When I freshwater fish I am an avid C&R. Saltwater I have only been catching croaker, blues and a few striper so I have kept most of what I caught. Plus it usually gets all eaten by the end of the week. Thanks for the reply

1 - 4 of 4 Posts