Pier and Surf Forum banner

Yorktown Rock Jetties 6.07.03

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Flounder Pounder 
#1 ·
Fished the Rocky Jetties at Yorktown in between rain showers from 1p - 3p. Tagged / released 5 flounder (12" - 16"), all got on a variety of Saltwater Assassins (Chartreuse, Space Guppy & Electric Chicken).

Missed maybe the biggest flounder I've had on in the last two-years. I guess about 24" or so. I got him up to the edge of the jetty, held my rod high in my left hand, deftly positioned my feet on the slick low-tide rocks, scooped up my landing net in my right hand and proceeded to bonk him on the head three times until I dislodged the hook.

He had the courtesy to sit on the submerged rock, without the hook in him, just long enough for me to make one manic swipe with net before he drifted off to the darker water.

I will be holding rechristening ceremonies for my former "landing net", heretofore referred to as my "long-handled, quick release derigging apparatus".

Sure, blame the equipment.

THROW MORE / SOME / ANY / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

See less See more
#7 ·
no, seriously i never lost a FLOUNDER at the net, LOL. haven't caught (or fished for) one since 1966 when i was 5 years old when my dad used to take me handlining at cape cod for mullet and flounder.

now losing northerns at the net is another story.... :rolleyes:

i am seriously ready for my trip out to SC next week!!
cheers
jerry

#8 ·
This might make you feel a little bit better. I was fishing on the Nags Head pier one night and my partner caught a nice 21-22 inch flounder. Being the consumate gentleman, I offered to unhook and transport said flounder to our cooler. halfway to the cooler, said flounder gave me the slip and managed to find the widest space between two boards. Never touched anything. It was like mailing a letter. The only noise was a distressing splash as he returned to the briny. Needless to say, my partner was not quite as impressed with the escape talents of that fish as I was. At least you lost your own fish and it was still in the water. I, on the other hand........ Granpa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.