Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the York a of couple times this past week. The first day was probably my productive since moving to VA. None bigger than 15" or so. Fished the outgoing tide and they hit just about anything I put in the water. Once I realized they were all small, I stuck with top water for fun.

Several days later, I fished the incoming tide. The good news is that I was testing out a new rod I got for my birthday, and caught a little guy to get the stink of of it. The bad news is that he was the only one I caught. Tried all the baits that worked the before hand and no dice. Sometimes the fish aren't there.

Maybe some bigger fish will push in at some point. I hear of people fishing with eels, so I've toyed with the idea of trying them from the bank. Maybe even some of the artificial ones like slugo or hogy's. Not sure if it's a matter of lure or the fact that the bigger fish aren't there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sounds like you put in a good effort. I don't mind getting into the small ones like that. It can be lots of fun. I think the sluggo's are a good idea to try. I believe the big ones are there. I would suggest trying to fish the bottom if all you catch are small ones up top. The big ones will be down there conserving energy below the small ones, especially if the current is strong. I have seen nice stripers caught near the Coleman on eels. I have tried them a couple times from a kayak, but no luck.....yet. if you fish from the right hand end of the Gloucester Point pier on an incoming tide, you can fish an eel under a large float and it will drift toward the bridge into 15 to 25 ft of water. If they aren't there yet, they should be any time now.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My opinion, the Gloucester side does better on incoming and the York side does better with outgoing. I tried an eel twice and nothing hit it all night. My opinion (again lol) is that only the big ones go for the eels. I did much better on a jighead with gulp. Like in my other post, I did quite well this year in November with keepers, but none for December. All shorts this month that I might be calling it quits for the season.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OC, when you fished eels, were you fishing them on the bottom or under a float? If under a float, about how deep? I've been wanting to try this because I've heard of people catching big ones that way, but like you, I always have better luck with jighead and gulp.

·
Registered
276 Posts
OC, when you fished eels, were you fishing them on the bottom or under a float? If under a float, about how deep? I've been wanting to try this because I've heard of people catching big ones that way, but like you, I always have better luck with jighead and gulp.
I tried both. I started out at the bottom because of the strong current. Then when it slowed down I tried with a bobber. Incoming tide so I started out about 2 feet then as the water goes up I lower to 3 feet then 4. About every hour.

I usually just keep an eel out there on one pole while I jig my gulp. Caught all my fish on the gulp, not one bite off the eels. Like I said, I believe only the bigger ones take the eel. Not many bigems from the surf. Do very well with eels on the boat tho.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks...I may try 'em next week. The guy at Grafton bait shop keeps telling me that the water is still too warm for the big ones to migrate up into the York River right now. I'm hoping soon...I didn't have your success in Nov and have missed most of Dec being busy at work. Maybe I can get an early Christmas present!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts