Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
I drove by there this afternoon (Sunday 10.12.03) and they still had the orange tape up across the sidewalk and signs saying "DANGER! GLASS & DEBRIS ON BEACH ... BEACH CLOSED".

Well no foolin. There's glass and debris all over that beach on a normal day, prior to the hurricane, from all the junkers who leave their fishing refuse all over the place. So what's the difference?

I mean heck, there's 50-foot by 50-foot barnacle / foot cutting sections of Harrison's Pier laying all over Willoughby Spit and there's no "DANGER ... CLOSED BEACH" signs there.

They've got the Yorktown beaches closed to keep us fisherman away because they want to keep building it and it's easier without folks in the way.

They could care less about the glass / debris. If they did those signs would have been up year round telling everyone on the beach, to walk on the beach and risk cutting your foot open at your own peril.

I fished down there probably 50x this year, and I NEVER once took my flip-flops or sneakers off because of all the broken bottles and debris that is normally on the beach.

Open up the darn beach!

THROW MORE BIG ONES BACK / PICK SOME GARBAGE UP

Jake Ace

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took my 3yr. old grandson to Yorktown Beach this summer and over by the rocks where people fish something caught his eye in the sand. When he picked it up he starting screaming:he had a hook stuck in his finger.:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I doubt that they are enforcing those BEACH CLOSED signs after hours. I don't go there very often, but one evening last week, was it Wednesday, I decided to check it out and parked beneath the bridge. I stayed and cast a bucktail with a teaser fly for while and nobody came and chased me away. A couple of other fishermen came and went. I did catch a tiny baby striper on the teaser but that was it. Pulled up a bunch of snagged bottom rigs as well.

Yeah, I agree with Jake Ace that closing the beach to fishermen, not just bathers, because of glass & debris seems ridiculous. There's always been a lot of junk there. If they're rebuilding the jetties or something I can understand why they don't want extra people around during the daytime while the work is going on. I'm not sure if they're doing any contruction work by the bridge at the moment though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts