Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Random question, but I will be visiting a relatives house that has a decent sized dock right at the mouth of wormley creek. I usually catch puppy drum and small striper from the dock. I will have a small group of people with me, and had planned on live bait. Planning on using any small spot we catch, as well as bunker (if locally available), and maybe some eels.

Also a neighbor suggested putting a chum block in the water when we put some lines out.

Is this going to be worthwhile? Any suggestions for fishing from a dock in that area? Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think that eels or larger live bunker would probably be overkill for Wormley Creek. It is very shallow throughout the creek and I wouldn't expect something big enough for eels to be in there feeding. The chum surely couldn't hurt, but I don't think it is necessary. The deepest areas of the creek (besides the channel that goes from the entrance to the Coast Guard station docks) is going to be around the docks and the fish are going to be there anyways. Some cut fresh mullet, cut menhaden or live small fish may work. I think your best best is to use jigheads & soft plastics like paddletails or Gulps, soft & hard jerkbaits, topwater lures and shallow running crankbaits around the dock (at night especially if it has a light on it). There should be plenty of smallish and keeper schoolie sized striper, possibly some speckled trout, but I wouldn't expect too many puppy drum this season. For fun and great eating, I would be willing to bet there are still some nice white perch hanging around. I caught quite a few inside the creek this summer. Some were pretty nice size. I was actually surprised to find as many as shallow as that creek is. Fish for them with smaller jigs & curl tail soft plastics, small live minnows or small spinner baits like Beetle Spins.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts