Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well there still are a few places on the York River that you can access and find stuff, if you know what to look for, and how to look for it, and leave your rods & reels at home.

I haven't posted anything in a while, and normally I wouldn't give up "all" my secrets, it's not that you can't watch me for about 38-seconds and figure out exactly what I'm doing anyway, but here's how we did last Sunday.

We went to a few places along the York where we normally see folks lined up fishing along the shoreline ... yes, that will be me in mid-to-late-March when the croaker show up ... my son, wife, neighbor's son, and myself, and we took our little $15 metal detector that my son wanted 2 Christmases ago with us, some plastic shovels and a sifter. Also, 2 buckets, one labeled a "trash" bucket, and a labeled a "treasure" bucket.

We've done this before, but never had as much luck as we did last week.

We got the usual, rusty hooks, beer bottle tops, and fishing line that we summarily put in the "trash" bucket but we found our share of treasures too.

The good stuff, now remember that "treasure" is in the eye of the beholder ... in my wife's opinion, everything we found was "trash" ... but not to me or the kids.

We picked up, and I'm not exaggerating here because we weighed it when we got home ... 80 oz of lead ... too tell you how many bank, barrel and pyramid sinkers that was, there was 1 5oz, and 1 3oz in the lot.

Now, I do use 5 oz, 6 oz and 8 oz on the boat, so all these 1 oz and 2 oz ones weren't going to do me any good, but I have a friend who has molds for those bigger weights and pours his own for his boat, so I can give him the lead, and he'll trade for some big ones he's already poured.

When I was in Bass Pro last week, the big leads in the Saltwater section were priced at 40c an ounce, I know they're cheaper elsewhere, but to further justify the trip, I amused myself by thinking that we pulled $32 of lead out of the sand since he'll probably trade me 8 or so poured 8 ozs bank sinkers for the raw lead that I give him.

Now the kids enjoyed it because we found $1.85 in change that they divided up, a working bell that folks tie to their rod tips when fishing multiple spiked rods, some rusted over pliers, and filet knife, several usable swivels, a couple bottom rigs that we salvaged the beads off of, a Caesars Palace Medallion, and a true to life coconut that my son took to show-n-tell the next day being that coconuts only occasionally make their way up this way via the gulfstream currents from FLA, or maybe get lost overboard ... we googled it when we got home to see.

And that was our trip to the York River last Sunday. Oh, we did see some folks fishing, but they didn't catch anything.

THROW THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a good time with the Fam Jake. You ever find and Megaladon Teeth on any of those trips? If you haven't already, check into geocaching (where you are the search engine) Go to http://www.geocaching.com/ for more info. Its using a handheld gps to find items people put on line. Since those little things come out I've seen it go from 600 caches in our area to I think theres over 6,000 on the Penninsula alone or some absurd number.

Ben

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thats awsome!
Not only are you cleaning up the enviroment! your teaching responsibility,attention to detail,Conservation.
And having a blast doing it!
The world needs more fishermen like you. I bet you guys probably reeled in miles of "ignorantly" discarded fishing line also.
Kudos on you and your friends and family!

Every little bit helps!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Pretty work Jake, my 11 yo loves to go metal detecting. Yes we find a lot more trash than treasure. We did find a civil war button on Grandview beach, that was pretty cool.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about the slow reply ... I was working in Detroit all week, and just got back Friday night ... beleive it or not, you can get very good rates on airfare to Detroit in February, and many, many retailers still have super stocks of Detroit Lions merchandise still on their clearance racks.

Never found a Megalodon tooth. We occasionally search the creek bottoms, and cliffs here in Williamsburg and get plenty of giant Jeffersonian Dinner-Plate Scallop fossils, but the big-tooth has eluded me. I know folks who've found them though, but I think that would be a great find.

We hit the perfect tide, and temp that day, full-moon, low-tide, and had a lot of beach to work with, I think that's why we did so well.

Good news, this week it's off to Savannah-GA and Charleston-SC.

THROW SOME BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.