Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm In Richmond. Fish from my Cobra Naviagtor. Love the Salt and Like being near the shore. Inlets are great. Looking forward to finding the skinny Backwater the large boat can't handle. How about you? :cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm in Norfolk. I fish. I kayak. Been fishin a lot longer than kayakin. Only just last summer put the two together in Albemarle Sound couple times. Caught flounder and speck. Most exciting part was the run-in my Kid had with one of them neat lookin sticks that turned out to have a white mouth! (While I was loading the truck back up....Kids don't listen!) Talk about exciting!.......Wish I had a picture!

Surprised me too. Didn't figure there to be Water Mocs in that area. Isn't Albemarle Sound basically salt water?

I use an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT. Kid uses an OK Kea. :eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok so we want to know where all the lurking yak fishermen are...Well I am one. I am in Va Beach and fish from a WS Pungo. I fly fish and conventional, Can't see limiting myself to one style, besides, isn't it the ultimate goal to catch the fish reguardless of what type rod you use! Anywho, those that want to get together and go fishing this season let me know. Greg I know you are all ready high on the list. Looking forward to catching drum and specks with you again this year. Tight Lines !

·
Registered
291 Posts
Im up in vienna right now. I normally fish light tackle (max is 15 lb test). Kind of hoping for it to warm up so i can get back to fishing. A week ago i even tried freshwater because i was so desperate but guess what?! The lakes were frozen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Im in Chesapeake, but soon moving to Dam Neck, VB, I fish Lesner, Lynnhaven pier, and Sandbridge pier, occassionally fish CBBT and Harrison's pier

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks CTROUT. Found that out the hard way I guess. We caught the flounder & Speck further up towards Oregon Inlet. Our launch point was the New Inlet boat ramp 'bout 5-7 miles south of OI. That's where we found that "stick" (or the stick found us).

Be careful folks! :eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok guys,
Wanted to bring this back to the top for one last look. After everyone has chimmed in I will make a mailing list of all local yakfisherman and see about trying to set something up. Not sure what can be done but maybe a small local get together or maybe even a small local yak fishing tournement. Anyway, if there are anymore out there or any of you guys knowof anyone else, have them reveal themselves to us and I will see what I can do for something later on in the spring.
Kepp on yaking, keep on fishing...ahhh...YAKFISHING!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
A little late but I yack too. I live at 59th st Va BCH, and do alot of yacking at sandbridge mostly spanish macks and blues in summer and an occasional striper blitz in the winter. I like my two seater. I hope to try some new places when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey Rockhead,

Where in Sandbridge do you launch from, park, etc.?

Can you launch from the beach north of Little Island pier?

:confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Been yak fishing for a couple years now. Nice change of pace. Started at the pound nets off of Cape Henry trout fishing and now have even caught cobes and nice sharks at Hatteras. Now that I have just moved across the street from the beach i will prob do it every free moment i get. Great way to get that bait WAY out there. A kayak fishing tournament would be great.
Daniel

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got an Old Town Loon 160T That I've been known to fish from.

I generally go for flounder. Puppy drum are about the most fun I have had.

Then again, I haven't hooked up with a striper off the kayak yet. :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
hey Ruedy, I am fortunate to have a family cottage at sandbridge, on chub lane which is between tuna and rock lanes. I just drag it down to the beach and launch in the surf.
I know there are lots of beach access's along sandbridge especially near s-turns w/ onstreet parking s-turns is where the road s- turns north of the pier. I would just grab a parking spot near an access, unload the yak and drag it to the beach. As far as I know you can yak everywhere down there, you should be ok as long as you dont drag through someones yard. Its a great place to go fishyakin.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ruedy,

Yes, that's me. I've left the radio station and now work for an outfit called Sea Search of Virginia. I captain the boat and work with Reefballs. Maybe now I can do some weekend fishing.

Va_yakfisherman,

Please add me to your list. You might want to start a yahoogroup for this.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i've done some paddling in the past, but only mixed in fishing while in a canoe. freshwater. but, the whole kayak fishing excursion sounds good to me, and i'd be willing to rent one. ecosports near sandbridge is renovating right now but should be open sometime in march, and lots of times they have coupons for cheap rentals. little island park might be a good spot to gather all the yakers if a tourney is in the future. has anyone tried a catyak? it is double hulled with canvas stretched across and a chair on top, sort of resembles a catamaran. anyway i'm in if theres a tourney. we could even try and get together some weekend for a comp with our feet in the sand. it would be a good way to meet some folks from the board and help raise a little money to keep it going. dubbloons for the winners of course.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh, another thing.

I'm up for some tournaments when the water warms up a bit. The skinny water around here really got my attention and I'd like to try some more.

How about the James River? I hear horror stories about the area around Dutch Gap. Is it really that bad?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts