Pier and Surf Forum banner

Wrightsville Beach 10/21

Surf Report: 
1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  NateM 
#1 ·
Well guys its been a while since Ive put anything up, schools been keeping me busy. Thought it would be a nice day to try for kings and cobes offshore in the yak with Ryan, but once I got down there the breakers were a little too big for me mess with. Of course Ryan went out. I found finger mullet in the wash pretty easily and used them from about 10am-12. Caught a ton of solid blues, two short flounder, and a puppy drum that might have been an inch too short. Had a bite every cast. Ryan told me earlier that the water temp dropped over night so that might have heated the fishing up a little. It was nice to get the variety today. Big blitz offshore early on, most likely spanish. Got into them thick the other day in the yak around the menhaden schools. Lots of bait around, good time to go fishing! Good luck guys.

#2 ·
Was it blowin down there today Nate? You guys getting some of this crazy swell were getting here in Hatteras? I saw waves so big today, being setup with a 15-20kt offshore wind, that looked like they were breaking in slow motion. They were HUGE. Anyways, good work!

#3 ·
Sounds like my day on Sunday at the Fort...high winds early,,,blew u off the beach:mad:,,,,winds die in the afternoon and blues turn on big time:D,,,could not put the bait out fast enough:D.....dummy me,:redface:,, I shoulda had a major metal spoon on a separate rod and killed them more/

God that was fun:):):):fishing:

#4 ·
Went out to inlet at wrightsville yesterday and the water was colored black with mullet and birds diving everywhere out there. Saw a couple of decent flounder caught and I caught 63 blues on the soundside with one on almost every cast with some around 3 pounds but most 1-2 pounds. Had a couple bite offs when they attacked my popping cork instead of the mullet. Used sand fleas on two hook rigs as well and caught a couple decent Va. mullets. Kept a limit of blues for a fresh dinner and next day breakfast; all in all very exciting fishing, just wish they were trout or drum instead.

#5 ·
Hey Mike the waves were nice and clean early on with a light west wind, chest high. Got a little more rough as the day went on, but not really. Nothing like what you guys are getting. Saw that house on the news this morning falling into the ocean. I need to make a trip up to Kitty Hawk soon to pick up a few more surf rods at the house and most likely will make the trip down to hatty for some drummin. Keep us posted with those reports!

Rasta I saw a guy out there yesterday trying for that early trout, no luck. We're still weeks away from that. The drum are around, seems like the blues were just getting to you first. Sounds like you found the fish for sure. Good work.

#6 ·
Yeah it was a decent swell coming in, but pretty easy to time and get out (and back in). The inlet was a little snotty while the tide was rising hard and pushing against that offshore wind, but otherwise it was nice out there. Caught all the blues i could have wanted for bait plus a handful of spanish in the process. Saw a king sky, but decided to fish my baits low in the water column near the structure for a cobe instead. Gave it until the tide started falling pretty good and came back inshore to switch out tackle and play in the shallow water for a couple hours. Managed about 15 of these fellers, 23-29".

Also managed to pop a citation flounder on a quick trip yesterday afternoon.

Water temps are droppin and fall fishin is on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.