Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 10ft, one piece rod from a thrift store. The thread around the guides were dry rotted and with no epoxy. The rod is sound all the through. How do I wrap guides back onto the rod? I want to put new guides on, but there is nothing wrong with the old guides. Looks someone built the rod themselves because there are no brand names on the rod.

Please help. Would love to restore this old pup to life and get it out on the surf.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

· Super Moderator
514 Posts
Without getting into what is the type of rod and it's material, or type of guides, or tip top, or reel seat, begin by removing the old thread by scoring/cutting the thread over each guide foot. With all the guides off, assess the naked rod's condition - does it need complete refinishing, is there raised surface finish were the guides were, what is the condition of the reel seat, or something else? Usually there's some finish or glue residue left on the rod where the reel seats were - this can usually be lightly sanded.

There's any number of YouTube vids on rod guide wrapping - search out and learn.

My dad and I built surf rods back in the 50s on the super cheap by using a fairly large cardboard box to hold the rod within "V" cuts at either end of the box. A larger "V" was cut out on the box side facing away from the rod and and the person wrapping on new guides. A spool of nylon "D" size thread will do nicely. Thread it through a large book, maybe add another book or two on top of that book for thread tension. Rod guides can be taped onto the rod and lined up properly by eye. Thread is started around the rod about 1/4" or so away from the guide foot, wrapped around itself for a few turns to lock in, continue rotating the rod and wrapping the thread up the guide's foot ... within about 1/8" to 3/16" from where the foot ends before the guide ring, lay a loop of thread under the guide thread and wrap over it 3-6 times, cut the thread, send the thread tag end into the thread loop, pull the thread loop and tag end into the wrap and out of it - cut off the tag end. Wrapped guide thread can be finished with a few very thin coats of clear nail polish or much better yet, use Gorilla Clear Glue - Gorilla Clear

Have fun!

· Registered
33 Posts
You can build a rod wrapper with scraps of wood and items around the house. Old tv trays you can use the wheels. You may need a trip to the hardware store to make the thread holder but you can get it done for less than 20 bucks even buying the caster wheels..

If you want it to be original look for the old muted color thread and reuse the guides if they are in good shape.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can build a rod wrapper with scraps of wood and items around the house. Old tv trays you can use the wheels. You may need a trip to the hardware store to make the thread holder but you can get it done for less than 20 bucks even buying the caster wheels..

If you want it to be original look for the old muted color thread and reuse the guides if they are in good shape.
Thank you so much and will do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts