Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is precisely why I don't make the five hour trip to the outer banks multiple times a year anymore. Tired of beating the water for two or three days with very little to show for it. We just went to rodanthe two weeks ago...went offshore and caught some black fin and dolphin. Fished the surf for two days and caught one keeper flounder and nothing else. Water conditions looked ideal. Talked to folks who had been fishing for the prior week and they all said the same thing....SLOW. North Carolina has incredible potential and it's sickening that so many recreational folks are getting screwed by politics and special interests. Nothing short of the rape of a public resource. I'll save my money and go bass fishing in the farm pond. I love saltwater fishing but it's just too damn depressing/infuriating knowing how good it could and should be.....rant done.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The wral documentary link is about Commercial fishing, not comical fishing.....nothing funny about it. It states among other things that 96 Percent of the southern flounder sold in the U.S. Comes from North Carolina waters. Maybe moose dog can edit the heading and change comical to commercial so folks won't pass it by thinking its a fishing blooper link. Thanks for the post moose.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I read that story yesterday. It really is sad with the amount of water for breeding fish in NC that it seems so hit or miss.
From the story it seems Raleigh was intent on keeping it safe for the comms (one legislator spoke about taking over jurisdiction). Not sure if that is good or bad but between Big Menhaden running the Chesapeake and NC allowing trawling/gill netting our fishery has a dim future.
I have caught too many pups to count that had that telltale mark of being caught in a gill net. Not sure if they escaped or were released. Seems that the scars were deep though. Wonder how long they were in the nets?
The NC shrimp industry should see the writing on the wall. Shrimp trawling is a poor reward for the effort, and the bycatch is appalling. There is a reason why most all the shrimp you see are farm raised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I watched the documentary last night, really sad, I grew up fishing piers and surf and it just isn't the same down there anymore, not just missing the spot runs, just no fish to run anymore. me and my son just joined the CCA NC, maybe those folks in Raleigh can make some better decisions for us recreational fisherman before it's too late, if not too late already!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
So I'll probably get some ugly looks asking about this but I really don't know anything about this situation. Is the comm industry the entity getting the most blame for the decreasing rec fishery? It does seem like fishing at the OBX is not what it used to be. Is it more nuanced than that though? Do the small mom and pop guys affect the fishery in a negative way? Is it the huge corporate conglomerates? Should I just keep my mouth shut? What can us average joes do to help improve the fishery?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey dlpetrey, did you check out the wral documentary, I think it did a fine job in explaining where all the fish have gone, check it out if you haven't already. I am no tree hugger by no means, but this is one subject that draws my attention because fishing is in my blood. I grew up fishing with my father at the coast, and am now bringing my son to the beach to fish but the fish just aren't there like they used to be. If you happen to fish from the surf or pier fish, it's not hard to figure out what happened, just look out pass the breakers at all the shrimp boats going up and down the beach.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The numbers in the documentary re: bycatch by the trawlers was very disconcerting.

A topic not mentioned in the documentary was if there are viable measures to replenish any of the hard-hit stocks via hatcheries. I did not find any saltwater hatchery initiatives in NC, but there are 6 or so freshwater hatcheries. They are taking a stab at in MA : http://www.nmt.us/news/vineyardflounderstocking.pdf

kbueno

·
Registered
177 Posts
Eventually most of the fish will be gone and the "Commercial Fisherman" will go out of business because they aren't catching anymore fish. Also many more will turn away from "recreational fishing" because there aren't any fish to hook. These two things will happen. Then there will be no more money provided by the Commercial Fisherman to feed the attorneys and the legislature, they will then lose interest and stop "caring" about Commercial Fishing. Then and only then you will see change. Quietly the rules will change and inshore trawling, and Gill Netting will be stopped. Then and only then will we see change for the better. After that, we will just have to wait to see if the fish themselves return. It's gonna be a long slow wait.

As usual, it's all about money or the promise of money. Many of those 13 "legislatures" will give up caring once the money is gone and move on to some other money-grubbing issue to champion. Just follow the money trail, and see how fast everyone stops caring when the money is gone.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wral documentary link is about Commercial fishing, not comical fishing.....nothing funny about it. It states among other things that 96 Percent of the southern flounder sold in the U.S. Comes from North Carolina waters. Maybe moose dog can edit the heading and change comical to commercial so folks won't pass it by thinking its a fishing blooper link. Thanks for the post moose.
Sorry bout the miss spell your right there's nothing funny at all about this, thank mods for correcting the title. And your welcome for the post. I actually just got done watching it on tv and figured i should post this here asap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The documentary was informative however I think it was missing an angle that would have added to it. Many times, the documentary stated that NC is the only state on the east coast now that still allows (fill in the blank). I'd be interested in the processes by which our neighboring states made changes to their coastal fisheries management programs. I'm sure fishing is deep in the blood of coastal residents in other states yet those states passed laws.

There is precedent for what is being attempted here. While the issue is NC's to bear, some reference to how other states passed laws would have been nice. Such as the before and after allowances, the length of time and iterations of laws that took place to get to their current position. For example, South Carolina has a remarkable coastal fishery. There was a shift politically, legally, and socially to make that happen. Some insight to that would have been helpful.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The documentary was informative however I think it was missing an angle that would have added to it. Many times, the documentary stated that NC is the only state on the east coast now that still allows (fill in the blank). I'd be interested in the processes by which our neighboring states made changes to their coastal fisheries management programs. I'm sure fishing is deep in the blood of coastal residents in other states yet those states passed laws.

There is precedent for what is being attempted here. While the issue is NC's to bear, some reference to how other states passed laws would have been nice. Such as the before and after allowances, the length of time and iterations of laws that took place to get to their current position. For example, South Carolina has a remarkable coastal fishery. There was a shift politically, legally, and socially to make that happen. Some insight to that would have been helpful.
Excellent post. I want to know what we can do now, today, to help our fisheries. We can't just sit on the sidelines.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Excellent post. I want to know what we can do now, today, to help our fisheries. We can't just sit on the sidelines.
I have actually been thinking about this as well. Got me thinking if you could make a workable business plan around running a salt water hatchery. I mean, trout are basically kept going by hatchery fish, why not help out the flounder, sea trout, etc?
Not a huge fan of government though (understatement) and my guess is you would have to schmooze all sorts of unseemly folk.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have actually been thinking about this as well. Got me thinking if you could make a workable business plan around running a salt water hatchery. I mean, trout are basically kept going by hatchery fish, why not help out the flounder, sea trout, etc?
Not a huge fan of government though (understatement) and my guess is you would have to schmooze all sorts of unseemly folk.

"Schmooze" What a word.

I think you are correct though. I just hate the idea of having to smooch the inner souls of someone's rectum to get this done. The legislature has no business being part of this process, and I think it's a shamed that they put their noses in it. Money-grubbing cut throats. They need to be focused on this "coal-ash" crap that keeps leaking into our rivers. The Commercial Fisherman are only hurting themselves in the long run. Once they have depleted all the fish, they themselves will starve.

Why can't they follow some sort of Biblical principal and see if that helps? Ya know, something like fish the water for 6 years, and on the 7th year let it rest? Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The destruction of fisheries is a WORLDWIDE problem. Commercial fishing corporations don't give a damn. Short term profit,..long term destruction of every FISHERY ON EARTH! (AND THEIR CORPS. WITH IT)
I saw some of this in the late 1950"s in England, Denmark etc. Later, (in the 90's) the Cod crashed out on the Grand Banks, Cod probably won't ever recover.
Folks, we're witnessing the destruction of the planet's ecosystem. Whether it's fisheries, drinking water, the air, stands of forests; they're being wiped out.
The blind eye N C politicians have is typical WORLDWIDE. I used to think that the human species would learn from past mistakes, and change their behavior thus ensuring survival of **** sapiens. I NO LONGER BELIEVE THAT!
The only way to save the human species is mastering interplanetary travel. This planet is DOOMED!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Wow! We got some real wackos on this thread! Go back 30 years. Same comments, just different media. Lotta Charlotte and Raleigh posters on here. They want come down once a year and have fish jump in their boat. Yea, flounder #'s down. Why...15 inches has a lot to do with how many we keep. best - glenn

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Wow! We got some real wackos on this thread! Go back 30 years. Same comments, just different media. Lotta Charlotte and Raleigh posters on here. They want come down once a year and have fish jump in their boat. Yea, flounder #'s down. Why...15 inches has a lot to do with how many we keep. best - glenn
When they show up at the beach and the Tackle Shop has no fresh shrimp or mullet for them to fish with they are also outraged:)

If everyone did their part and quit all the killing for a few years then perhaps it could go back to the old days, but likely not.........too many people competing for a resource.

Having fished the OBX since the mid 1960's when as an 11 year old I could really put the hurt on them Flounder, the main difference is there might have been a hundred thousand visitors a year to the OBX annually, these days it is 2mil plus....

I will say this the large Drum fishing on the OBX back in the day was never as hot as it is these days and there was a total ban in those days for taking large drum by net, it was the recs who killed them 100-200 at a time down at Cape Point who whacked them pretty good.....I was one of them so I am just as guilty as the rest.:)

If a Drum fella caught 25-30 Citation Drum in a season in the mid 1980's off the surf or planks on the OBX he was really doing something..............a few fellas these days have done that in one day or one week.....and if when they show up they are expecting all the white boxes sitting outside the tackle stores to have plenty of fatback/mullet on ice............where do you think that bait comes from?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Did you ever think that maybe 30 years ago the same problems were happening?
I am not going to go down the path about "if you don't live here you can't bitch." I do think it is disingenuous to bring that up though.
Bringing up the bycatch numbers is not a "wacko" comment. It is a valid issue with trawling and or gill netting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.