Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as modifying reels, I'd magged out a few 525's changed out bearings, etc. so I have some very limited knowledge in that area.
When it comes to rod blanks, I'm pretty familiar with what's what. My question is, if I want to start into building custom rods, what kind of equipment would I need to start and any other info is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I hand roll all of mine,while stting in arm chair. Nothing more than an old rotisery for the dryer and a couple of wooded v blocks to support the blank.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
VaFHB,

Welcome to an addictive hobby.

To start:
1. Get a copy of Tom Kirkmans book "Rod Building Guide"). Best $15 you will ever spend.
2. I use V blocks from day 1. Still build ALL my rods with them - from 5' to 14' - works for everything. No turner - turn all my rods by hand and they come out great (just takes a little longer but time I got)
3. Take the time to plan out the rod - what type grips, reel seat, guides, etc. This will help when you get ready to place your order. I build nearly all my rods now on Lamiglas blanks (spinning) Black Salt rods. They work great for all my freshwater needs (drop shot, jigs, etc.)...
4. Look at factory rods to get an idea on what colors are pleasing to the eye - Seen a lot of rods out there that are wrapped beautifically but basically hard on the eyes.

Have fun and dont be in any rush to get it done. Take your time and enjoy yourself. Most of my rods are built on the weekends - a couple of hours at a time. I try to make sure they are done before I need them in the Spring.

Sandcrab

1 - 4 of 4 Posts