Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this may make me sound like a real idiot but after reading and watching videos i can now throw a cast net!!!!!:D well im not great at it yet but i know its good enough to get bait. i have an 8' net. my question is what type of bait can i get at lynnhaven other than the ever present mud minnow? are menhadden easy to get? what about silversides? i was outside for 2hrs in the 90 degree heat throwing that damn thing today. couldnt get it to work. stopped and ate dinner and then went back out there and BAM!!!! opens every time!! i dunno what happened i just got it all of a sudden:D .FINALLY after having thanet in my shed for 2 yrs i can use it now!!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOO

·
Registered
634 Posts
good deal medic.. last time i was at lesner bridge i was getting silversides......also if you are having trouble perfecting your cast..try buying a small 4ft net..... the smaller nets are best to learn on....once you perfect them move up ....but if you throwing yours good...keep on throwin:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
yea theres lot of little menhaden (peanut bunker) in there. What i would do is start off using minnows and when you see what looks like little rain drops on the water or even them jumping just drop a net on them. Saw one guy get about 80 on a horrible cost in the mourning and then at night they came through again and a guy got like 100.

·
Registered
823 Posts
from one medic to another.....cool deal congrats

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. now i know what everyone was talking about when they told me "once you figure it out you will never forget" i was in the yard tonight playing around with it. its easy!!!
topsail where are you a medic? paid,volley,or military?

·
Registered
20 Posts
last summer I was goin fishin at seagull pier stopped at ragged island WMA to try to catch some bait, after 1/2 hour of catchin what I call stone crabs (cause I catch them under the rip rap at the base of the bridge) I threw my cast net a couple of times and wound up catchin about 5 softshell crabs with dozens of grass shrimp and about 10# of grass.... guess the softshells were hiding in the grass.....didnt know what to think but it was pretty cool....good bait night! you never know what you'll catch in yer cast net, but what a great fishin tool!:cool:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Caught plenty of menhaden about 5 inches long this past weekend in the shallows of the Lynnhaven Inlet. Caught one bunker about 14 inches long. The small menhaden survived well in a Flo-Troll. Caught one puppy drum 21" using a live menhaden on a fishfinder rig.

At the Lesner Bridge the silversides pile up. You don't even need a cast net.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts