Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be at the beach for Christmas, bottom fishing is mostly skates and dogfish. Can anyone give me some tips about how to catch trout with artificials from a pier? I have Mirrolures and jigs. Water temp today is 63. A week from today I'll be fishing.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Gonna be at the beach for Christmas, bottom fishing is mostly skates and dogfish. Can anyone give me some tips about how to catch trout with artificials from a pier? I have Mirrolures and jigs. Water temp today is 63. A week from today I'll be fishing.
I don't know where you are fishing, but my best trout lure in FL. fishing off the beach was a DOA Night Glow 1/4 OZ. Shrimp fished very slow with no jigging, just glide it along with a slight wave of the rod now and then. If you know what I mean. Fish Recreation Vacation
Fish Fish Herring Sardine Coregonus lavaretus
Fishing lure Fishing bait Bait
Fish Recreation Vacation Flounder Fishing

·
Registered
133 Posts
If I'm throwing a lure for trout from the pier it will be red jig head with Chartreuse Gulp Alive Swimming Mullet body. I will try different retrieve speeds until I find one that works and most often it will be a slow jigging motion. Good luck.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If I'm throwing a lure for trout from the pier it will be red jig head with Chartreuse Gulp Alive Swimming Mullet body. I will try different retrieve speeds until I find one that works and most often it will be a slow jigging motion. Good luck.

That's my go to color combo as well.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Oh I'm sorry I horned in. You said your going to be at the beach. I thought you meant beach fishing for trout. But you meant going to the beach to fish off the pier. Too bad we can't delete our post. I make a lot of mistakes, and would like to remove them sometimes. Thanks!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Well I have been researching some on winter specs for an article I am dreaming of writing and let offer the following....suspended Mirrolures reeled in very slowly around areas that offer structure (think holes and sloughs.) Z-man, Berkley Gulp, etc with either white swimming mullet style body with a red head or some sort of gold flake with a gold head to have to be reeled in slowly again around structure. I would use something with a curly tail.

You gotta reel slowly. Let the current and waves do the work...you just keep tension on the line.

If you want to target bigger specs, use bigger baits. I know that sounds silly but the old salts have always said that the big trout switch their eating patterns when they get big. Instead of eating twenty shrimp over the course of a day, the fat momma's eat one lil trout or pinfish. More food with less effort. Sort of like a fat guy at the Wendys drive through.

Night time is good for bigger trout. They have great vision and use it to their advantage at night time.

That mainly applies to the surf but I guess it would carry over to the planks as well.

One thing you might want to consider on the pier.....clams and fishing along the pilings for sheepshead. They should be there I guess and the pinfish and other bait thieves wont be.

Good luck.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Fishing in the wintertime for speckled requires "dead sticking" the lures. That is you impart little to no action on the lure. Allow the normal current to provide the action.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Don't be afraid to go small.
Sabiki small even, up to 3 or 4 inch plastics.
Depends on what they are tuned into.
Live spot live lined will catch the tide runners

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Any one ever hear about DOA Night Glow Shrimp. Stick with what works for you. For me fishing off the beach, or in a boat on the grass flats it was the 1/4 OZ. Shrimp, color was night glow. Fish Fish Herring Sardine Coregonus lavaretus
Fish Fishing Fish Bass Recreation

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I think I am out of line. I shouldn't be posting on Speckhunter's post. Sorry, I get carried away sometimes when talking fishing. You have my permission to delete my post.:redface:

·
Registered
888 Posts
I think I am out of line. I shouldn't be posting on Speckhunter's post. Sorry, I get carried away sometimes when talking fishing. You have my permission to delete my post.:redface:
I have no issues with you or anyone else contributing their knowledge by posting. :fishing:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Speckhunter, I noticed in your tips thread you said you like 52s and TTs. Are those what you deadstick? Or the really slower sinking ones like 17s and 27s? I just started trying to learn how to use PBs and am looking to get better with lures in general.. Maybe my problem lately is even though I'm reeling slow as hell, im still popping too much.

·
Registered
888 Posts
52s and TTs. Have not really used the 17/27. If you are reeling then you are not dead sticking. Only reel when you want to retrieve your lure and you have passed "the hole". Cast from a position up current of "the hole" and only reel initially to get slack out of the line. Let the lure sink on its own and float back thru the hole and let the lure go back behind the bot or well past the hole only reeling enough to maintain contact and then once well past the hole reel it in.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Just a suggestion for specks on the pier. Remove the hooks from a Pop-R and tie 18"-24" line to the end with a 1/8 oz jig and a Berkely Powerbait Shrimp(not sure they still make them) and fish this on a slow pop on a calm day

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a suggestion for specks on the pier. Remove the hooks from a Pop-R and tie 18"-24" line to the end with a 1/8 oz jig and a Berkely Powerbait Shrimp(not sure they still make them) and fish this on a slow pop on a calm day
That's a great idea, I sell some jigs and Clouser minnows for folks that do that freshwater bass fishing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That trailer setup is great on a lot of fish.
you can slay the rockfish on lakes and rivers that way too. the pop gets attention and then they see the jig. it works know that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts