Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide on a new jacket for wading and fishin the surf. Alot to chose from out there and was wondering what you guys wear in the cold surf. Been looking through Cabelas and the ones used for duck hunting looks like it would work well but expensive if it does not fit the bill. Opinions appreciated, thanks

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
poleant,

Albeit on the lower end of the Cabela's jacket food chain, I have had now the same jacket twice at my request #92-0151 (tag #). A simple green rain jacket for ~40-50 bucks Cabelas name on it that I wear w/my waders.

I have worn this puppy out once surf fishin'. Pockets will hold fresh cut bait, tackle, beers, etc, :D

Good shoppin' - stay warm, and better catchin'

`bucket

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just got a drytop. It was designed, I think, for paddlers but should work really well in the surf, too. Water proof material, and has a neoprene waist, neck, and wrists. Also has latex around the wrists, too. I have not tested it yet, but those who have say they can wade up to their necks and stay dry. I wear it over my waders. They're not usually cheap...but this guy has them on sale right now. Drytops

Also, there's AquaSkinz which is supposed to be the best...again, pricey...but at least the option is there.

Past a good top...I think a good hat is most important. I have a hat I got from OR called the "windstopper" that is unbelievable. I've actually had to take it off at times because I got to hot. It's kinda cool looking, windproof, waterproof for the most part, and very lightweight. It will cover your ears, too, if you need it.

Beyond that...I like wool and quality fleece. Both keep you warm even when wet.

I still have not found a pair of gloves to beat fingerless wool gloves. I flyfish so I need to feel the line and everything else on the market either too thick or clumsy and makes casting or stripping to difficult.

Best time to buy this stuff is in the summer. Most stores put this stuff on rock bottom sales to make way for the new stuff.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Wool

As far as a material Wool is one of the best to where around water, since it will keep you warm when wet.

Now dry tops are a great idea with waders. (I would have one except for my job situation). The reports on the Aquaskins would make it as my first choice. How ever a inexpensive Kayak top would be the next stop gap. I would like something that seals around the wrist.

Gloves I use a pair of neo's that the fingers so they lift off the tips and attach with velcro. I will be buying a pair soon since mine are worn out.

The next bit of advice is to dress in layers, but I believe everyone knows that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Digger...I have the #2 Gul Drytop from that site I posted. It has a neoprene seal at the neck, latex and neoprene at the wrists, and neoprene over drawstring waist. I can confirm that no water gets in over the neck or wrists. Water rolls off this thing!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
A decent raincoat with a hood is all I wear. All the warm layers are underneath inside the waders. If it gets real bad the hood goes up. A watch cap and neopreme gloves with the thumb and forefinger cut off is all it takes for me to fish into the coldest months that the fish are still biting. The key is to get a decent raincoat that's actualy watertight even in the worst conditions. They also act as a wind breaker for the really foul days. The one I got was from West Marine for around $30.00 not as nice as the ones you guys are talking about but still does the job.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't go for "flavor of the month" outdoor gear

When possible, I like to let experience "teach" me about what works.

I very seldom search out specific items. Instead I tend to let them "find" me.

I'd never really thought about this particular issue, until I read this thread.

But when I Did think about it, most of my "time tested" favorite gear, has a "Columbia Sportswear" lable.

None of it is particularly fancy, or "high tech" but thier stuff is well made and comfortable.

That's all I ask.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I guess it really depends on your comfort level and ability to handle the "elements". I work outside at least half of most days and have no problem with the cold most of the time, but if you're cold while you're trying to "have fun" then it ain't no fun. What I'm saying is if you know you can't handle the cold for to long and still want to fish in it then you'd probably better spend more and get the good stuff that will keep you warm.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I just stick with lots of layers and put a raincoat on top of my waders. The spray hits me in the face and runs down.

Just remember to wear the raincoat on the outside of your waders! I saw one dude who had tucked them in who was just funneling water down his pants every time a wave hit*shiver*. The water was in the upper 40's that night.

·
Registered
634 Posts
check out BPS.. seen alot of jackets and waders there..very nice selection... seen some waders for $50

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm with the layers. I usually have a few flannel layers on with a good North Atlantic or Hanson fouley on over it. Served me well.

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all of the info. As for the rain coat I've worn one in the bay and works good but for the oceanside when going through the small breakers water goes straight up the front and my chest gets soaked. The Drytop looks great, probably need to try one of those on. I new you guys would lead me in the right direction. Thanks again!:)

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Salty said:
I'm with the layers. I usually have a few flannel layers on with a good North Atlantic or Hanson fouley on over it. Served me well.

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty
Speak of the dead....

Where you been, Salty? Glad to see you've rejoined our Ship of Fools. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts