Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do some Speck fishing 12/18-12/22 at Oak Island. Planning on using MirrOLures. I've never fished for Specks, but assuming I should go to the west end of the Island and in the marsh areas of the Intercoastal?? Would love some guidance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was talking to a guy who fishes in NC on the sound side, and he was telling about how they rig gulps for Specks. He said instead of using a jig head; use a DOA weighted hook. I've been looking for a set-up like that on web and can't find it. Any help?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Reeds???... you mean Spartina and Juncus. That would be a little to shallow. Specks don't root for food like drum do. That is why there head/mouth is designed differently. As to imparting an action, the colder the water the less action you impart.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reeds???... you mean Spartina and Juncus. That would be a little to shallow. Specks don't root for food like drum do. That is why there head/mouth is designed differently. As to imparting an action, the colder the water the less action you impart.
Yeah thats what I meant, not sure why I said reeds. Thank You! I will tell you guys how I do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was talking to a guy who fishes in NC on the sound side, and he was telling about how they rig gulps for Specks. He said instead of using a jig head; use a DOA weighted hook. I've been looking for a set-up like that on web and can't find it. Any help?

·
Registered
303 Posts
757_Fisherman:

He may be using DOA pinch weights. They have "legs" that wrap around the hook shank. You can cut them to make a lighter weight for shallower water or a quieter landing. They also come in different colors.

Blaine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.