Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!!! I'm trying to plan ahead and figure out what I'm going to do this winter (fishing wise). I've heard the stripers haven't made it down to Hatteras Island the last 2 years in numbers. Someone was telling me last night biters start showing up though. Anyone have any advice or tips on this? Anybody pulled a big one in Nov through March here before?!

What sort of sharks are roaming around here that time of year? Do you guys like to use skate wings as bait? Thanks in advance for any help/tips guys!!!!! I'ma go see if I can get off this drumless streak!:D :beer::D:D

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Not into sharkin as a pursuit, but I definately remember hearing stories every winter about seagulls getting sucked under by sharks at the Point. Seagulls as bait is tricky though, but what I have heard is that if you tie a plover on a dropper loop a little higher up than the gull as a teaser:eek:, the number of strikes increases significantly:fishing:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've heard that fall/winter is the best time for sharks on the obx. I'm hoping to give it a shot this year. What are the common species caught?

Also, I heard that if your going to use a gull, go with the cannonball rig. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've caught some big sharks in January at the point. Everytime Ive been down the water was too choppy to launch a yak with a big bait so I just used a big casting rod with overkill tackle. The big sharks are not out that far alot of the time. I've seen 8 footers jump right outside of the wash and have heard of even biggers ones cruising within 20 yards of the beach. If you can cast it, try using a whole bluefish for bait.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Seems every winter there's always a few Garbo's caught and I think it was last year that there was a couple hammers caught.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice one Rockfish! Yeah I'm a little concerned about kayaking baits out in winter, all it does is blow blow blow. In the last 3 weeks we have had 4 gale warnings, and another one tonight! I've caught the regular fare... spiny/smooth doggies, blacktips, etc.. but I want a true monster. Oh well, I'll have plenty of time here in the winter to figure it out. Thanks for all the ideas fellas!! And lopez, I'll have to try that sometime, but I wanna see you do it first haha.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The last two years have been basically a shark feast between Christmas and NEw years. No need to yaka bait. My group beached over a dozen biters and lost/ got dumped atleast half a dozen. Lots of duskis a few hammer heads and I even saw a lemon last Dec.
Date stamp is accurate!

And another of that funny looking fat man with the pink reel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stripers to OBX

I hope Drumdum is right. I have been down to OBX for the last two years look'in for the first striper. Blanked both years, nada! I know last year they basicallly stopped at the state line. But like Drumdum, I am hopeful this year (assuming cold weather in the NE is the key). I'm in the Shenandoah Valley (VA) and were expecting snow showers tomorrow. So, hopefully they'll start moving. Assuming they do head south, is Oregon Inlet a preferred spot? I fished with live eel last year on the North side of the inlet out past "the bar" or on top of it. Right strategy?

SurfRookie

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, all I know. In the last 45 minutes, the pamlico came rushing out and I have 3 feet of water in my yard, it's crossed highway 12 and is still coming up... Sorry to hijack my own post,, but dang this is nuts!!!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
And another of that funny looking fat man with the pink reel
here's a small one from New Years eve last year...

THE MANY FACES OF DALE LOL

i hate to say it, but i might not make the hatty trip this year, since we arent doing thanksgiving in NJ, we are doing CHRISTMAS in NJ..and i dont have that many vacation days left lol, used the helll out of them :D :D

Jesse

·
Registered
76 Posts
They were thick last new years on the south beach and in the hook. Most that were landed had to be cut free from comercial fishing gear netting. Seems like the get stuck in the net and then chew themselvs free leaving a collar around the neck. I saw some that were way too big for surf tackle, 10-14'. Might need to put a fighting chair in the back of a truck and put out some big bait on a 80tw or a 130t and hang on! Good luck casting that kind of stuff. Sharks were so close you could spool out 50 to 60yds of line and throw out a big bait with your hands like throwing a ball.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Gilly thanks for posting those pictures, I looked but couldn't find them...

I had that big tiger last year 12-13' that I fought for an hour and 1/4 and broke him off in the wash with Charlie and Matt in attendance... oh well he'll be bigger this year...

Most that were landed had to be cut free from comercial fishing gear netting. Seems like the get stuck in the net and then chew themselvs free leaving a collar around the neck.
we had several like that also... one or 2 looked real badly injured but swam off after we free'd them from the netting and the hook...

i hate to say it, but i might not make the hatty trip this year, since we arent doing thanksgiving in NJ, we are doing CHRISTMAS in NJ..and i dont have that many vacation days left lol, used the helll out of them
dude... there aint gonna be no fishing in Jersey at that time of year... stay home and hit Hatteras with us... :cool:

sure will miss you if you don't show up... who's gonna tie up all my hooks?... running low... :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
sup guys im new but i do a lot of shark fishing. i don't really use the skate wings, but I cut the wings off and use the body,its more appealing to the bigger sharks.
I don't do much sharkin of the surf but on the pier we hook into some monsters! I landed a 10ft lemon shark in 30 mins. last year on a grouper head (my favorite bait) but skate or ray will definitely work,lost 2 big hammerheads on cowray bodys,so theres the proof!

Happy Sharkin'!!!!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've heard that fall/winter is the best time for sharks on the obx. I'm hoping to give it a shot this year. What are the common species caught?

Also, I heard that if your going to use a gull, go with the cannonball rig. :)
Lemon.bull,spinner,black tip,tiger,hammer head,and i have seen makos,theshers,whites.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts