Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do during the winter months when you don't fish? Or do you just go ice fishing? I hope to get into some sledding and skiing :D Other than that, I just hope to keep warm.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
From now until Mar. 15th. I'll be working on my o gauge train layout. Model railroading is a passion with me and I look forward to the winter months to play with my trains.:D

Catman.:)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Down here I'll be fishing till I'm sure all th fish have left. Last yr I was catching puppies an striper into Jan. But after this year I'll prolly have as much of a chance of catching em after they leave as I did when they were here! :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I will probably try and fish most of the winter. Stripers will be in the Ocean all winter so I look for the weather to be right and go down at night. They are in the bay and rivers as well. They are just slower. My water temps target is 38 degree on the bottom.
If that fails I'll probably make Bucktail jigs.

D

·
0 Posts
after hunting season ends on jan. 3 ill prolly take a trip or two sea bass fishing. also ill be goin to the york river h.d. the pups should be there most of the winter. maybe some specks too.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Ahhhh Winter

I will be Waterfowl hunting, Snowboarding and doing taxes. See you in the spring. :D

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I'm trying to make a sailfish trip down to Fla. this winter, but it may not pan out.

Let's not forget our southern compatriots will have an even better season while those of us on the mid-Atlantic are freezing our butts off...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ha Ha Ha

Winter is the time when us fisherman get together on a pier freeze our ba**s
off and throw our lines into the water until were so cold we can't stand it. But
we do what we love and we love what we do...Remember FISHING=LIFE

Fred

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Drum Runner said:
after hunting season ends on jan. 3 ill prolly take a trip or two sea bass fishing. also ill be goin to the york river h.d. the pups should be there most of the winter. maybe some specks too.
Hate to burst your bubble but this time last yr I was catching 5-6 fish on my hr lunch break. I have only seen 1 this yr an it wasn't caught by me.:(

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Wrong Way said:
What do you guys do during the winter months when you don't fish?
You are kidding - right? Plenty of fish year round... ;)

Hope to start a new hobby this Winter when I am not fishing at IRI - Rod building. Looking forward to building my first rod..

·
Registered
374 Posts
read fishing books and watching fishing videos. highly recommend Mike Laptew's videos on stripers. tie flies and practice flycasting. plan on buying a mini lathe soon, so put turning wood on the list too. stripers on a homemade topwater plug, can't wait!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Can You say, "Redneck Riviera" ???

Good

Now, can You say, Una Mas Cervesa ???

Good

Now, call Me when the Shad Bush Blooms

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Smoothbore54 said:
Can You say, "Redneck Riviera" ???

Good

Now, can You say, Una Mas Cervesa ???

Good

Now, call Me when the Shad Bush Blooms
So you're going to consume massive quantities of bear until the dogwood trees bloom then you're going to Conowingo for some shad fishing. :D Sounds like a well thought-out plan to me.:D

Catman.:)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Organize my tremendus amount of gear,buy more fishing stuff,work on my surfcasting,and when theres a 60F day soak some baits at freshwater places(lakes,rivers)till the water warms up.When the water gets in the 50s again its time to do some saltwater fishing and that will be in March.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I'm going to take up sheephead fishing until the water warms up enough for my beloved monster redfish to come back to the surf again. Might try fishing offshore if I get the chance. I'm also going to be busy with getting a degree and working, so the time should fly.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Use what time I have off. Working on spl project and working seven days week.Started outa s part time job and went up from there. It is only for a couple more months. I want to get my radio equipment cleaned up and repaired. I have a 84 inch rc model that I want to get ready for the summer. I am converting some weed wacker motors for airplane motors. I will be busy.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jcreamer, are you an avid r/c plane modeler? I have 2 planes (a P-51 mustang and Edge 540) sitting unfinished in my basement and 3 other cars. I would really like to get into r/c boats but it's an expensive hobby. I have blueprints of an 1/8 scale hydroplane I would really like to build but that will have to wait for funding :D

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The only good thing about winter be sides the Holidays is it's basketball season and I'm a referee so I do enough game to buy new fishing gear for the next season.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts