Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Winter Flounder may be in the Northern reaches of the Chessie but, I have fished from VAB through SC and haven't seen one yet. I did fish them in NY, LI many years back and agree with the methods and bait but not with the fact that they are "in the Chessie", certainly not in the Southern space anyway.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

When all else fails, call in the experts! Here ia a reprint of the Winter Flounder article provided by Angel Bolinger of MD DNR:

I have received a good number of emails requesting information on winter flounder, Pleuronectes americanus. Winter flounder are members of the family Pleuronectidae whereas summer flounder, Paralichthys denatus, are in the family Paralichthyidae. A few distinguishing characteristics of winter flounder include that they are righteyed, have a small head, small teeth, and a nearly straight lateral line.

Recreational anglers in coastal areas along the Mid Atlantic and New England typically fish for this species. Although its not a well known recreational fishery in this area, we know winter flounder are present from previous yellow perch surveys where winter flounder were caught in fyke nets. Data from that survey suggests that the Wye East, Wye West, Choptank, and Chester River are a few good areas for anglers to seek this species.

Chumming is a good way to target winter flounder since they congregate. There are a couple of traditional ways to chum for winter flounder; the cheap less effective method uses kernel corn whereas the more successful expensive way employs surf clams. Start out by anchoring both ends of the boat. Then toss handfuls of corn around the boat or smash surf clams and hang over the side of the boat in a mesh bag. For tackle use an ultra light to light weight rod combined with small hooks, like a #10, covered with bait combined with just enough weight to get it to the bottom. A fish finder rig with an egg sinker or standard bottom rig will work. Slack tide is considered the best time to fish for them. There is no creel or minimum size for winter flounder.

Ms Bolinger further states:

To answer your question, they are found throughout the Chesapeake (Maryland and Virginia). Fishes of Chesapeake Bay (Edward O. Murdy, Ray S. Birdsong, and John Musick) is an excellent resource for information on Bay fishes.

So MD DNR says they are out there. I noticed that there is no state record for winter flounder -- here's your chance to get your name in the books!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
that proves nothing to me! so tkd have you tried here yet? basically that article states what I know ... fish for em in Md.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Keep Trying;I think you have a better chance to catch them in Va.How would Ocean Citys(MD)costal bays be for them Winter Flounder?Maybe I might try for them at the fishing piers over there in March.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Rockhead, I have not tried as of yet. I had a very busy December but plan to try this month. It seems to blow or rain & blow every Wednesday which is my only day possible to go. I do have several places in mind to give it a shot. I will post as soon as I do or do not catch any when I get a chance to go. The post from Manayuck Jake gives me alot of hope. If you think you might want to give it a go maybe we can work it out sometime.
Todd Doyle

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I have never caught a regular flounder in the bay, therefore they are not there.

Good logic! :D

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I have caught flounder at Matapeake, SPSP, and at the 450 bridge. My bait of choice is a weakfish spoon tipped with a long piece of squid. Cast and drag S-L-O-W-L-Y on the bottom.

Largest one I have taken was from the beach near the 450 bridge and was 19" long...and good eating! :)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I was reading a artical in The Fisherman and they said that they were Striper fishing with bloodworms in the surf south of IRI.They were fishing close in because thats where the Stripers lurk,but they got bored and started casting as long as they could cast.Then one guy pulled in a large Winter Flounder;others did the same.Everyone fishing that day pulled in 4-5 big Flounder wile surf fishing that one Good Friday.What a story;I guess anything is possible.At least I know they're in Deleware. :)

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
I beleive there is a population of winter flounder in the Chesapeake it's just that no one targets them. Those that do fish in the winter are usually after strippers and chances of catching flounder are nonexistent. As far a summer flounder in the bay is concerned, we're loaded with them. This past summer while using liver for catfish off of Miller Island I caught quite a few of small flounder. If I were to target flounder in that area using small bullhead minnows I'm sure I would have been quite successful.

How many people do you think target flounder in the upper bay. I think it would be safe to say ZERO but the fish are there. I think the same holds true for winter flounder. They're there but nobody is targeting them. I'd almost be willing to bet that you could fish the Tank right now chumming with razor clams and corn and catch winter flounder. As a matter of fact I think I just might do that in a couple of weeks.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Maybe when the weather warms up a little I'll try for them at Cape Henlopen with bloodworms.Maybe around Ash Weds?If other people wan't to try for them too in Md/Del; let me know where you were fishing,what bait you used,and how you did. ;) :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Too bad the season in NJ is closed. I'm itchin for some fishin. Going on a private offshore seabass charter on the 13th with the gang from the other site which shall not be named here as to avoid the wrath of Eric G!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Duke of Fluke!

Marine Forecast for 01/13/03 says 20 knot winds from the NW changing to westerly @ 15-20 knots and 2 to 4 foot waves .... may not be a bad day if you dress for the cold. We'll have to do some flattie fishing come March! Good fishing to ya!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I wonder if Flounder could be caught right now;Ling is another spiecies of fish you can catch in cooler waters too.Even people surf fishing with bloodworms at 3rs can catch Winter Flounder;I think thats where the Flouder in the Fisherman artical were caught :confused: :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
HP,

Tried to get some bloodworms for this weekend and was told that they are not available. Would like to try 3R's for flounder though. Just might give it a shot with some flounder jigs and cut squid dragged s-l-o-w-l-y accross the bottom this weekend although I plan on targeting the stripers in the inlet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Floundermen I have enjoyed all of your replies. As stated by the DNR ther are winter flounder in the chesapeake bay. The reason that catches are not reported is because the only thing that anglers in our area catch are rockfish. boring boring boring....Captain Ron and I catch these tasty flats in our area each year . Fish hard ....Outgoing tide is best.......

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
When the water temp gets in the lower 50's I'll probily try for them; they might cure my cabin fever.I'll probily try 3rs and Cape Henlopen Pier.I know I probliy asked this question,but do Winter Flounder bite at night?I've caught Summer Flounder at night :confused:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts