Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to try my luck walking the beaches of nc throwing artificials for reds. Working with a 7'6 Rod rated 1/4-3/4oz, battle 3000 with 15lb braid. Will be throwing a lot of soft plastics, 52mr, and some spoons. Now I'm not sure what kind of leader to use. I usually use 17lb fluoro inshore with a uni to uni. Also not sure how I'm going to deal with the current, last couple outings with mullet had my 4oz rolling with ease. If anyone could give input I would love to hear it. Also if anyone has any experiences doing this that could share how long to stay in a area before working along or if anyone has hooked into a 40incher ha.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I throw soft plastics/ gulp a lot for reds and flounder. 10# braid and 10-20# leader, fluoro or mono on a 7 ft with a 2500 or 3000. Works great with a 3/8 oz jig.
I also drum fish with a heaver and 8-16 oz sinkers for big red drum. There's a big difference in bait fishing and lures as far as whats needed in weight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I throw soft plastics/ gulp a lot for reds and flounder. 10# braid and 10-20# leader, fluoro or mono on a 7 ft with a 2500 or 3000. Works great with a 3/8 oz jig.
I also drum fish with a heaver and 8-16 oz sinkers for big red drum. There's a big difference in bait fishing and lures as far as whats needed in weight.
I keep reading about these giant rods with heavy weights but is it really needed to catch a bull? My 9ft with a battle 4 or5k and 30lb braid won't be able to handle it? Is it a matter of distance casting or what?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes your 9' rod and reel will handle it, just have your drag set properly, don't horse him in but get him landed, because they do tire, seen too many people fart around forever to land a big drum and the poor fish has little or no strength to swim off. The heavy weights mentioned above are used, depends how rough the surf is and/ or maybe they are fishing in the congo line at the point , matching their weights so everyone doesn't get crossed. What part of NC are you going to be fishing? Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes your 9' rod and reel will handle it, just have your drag set properly, don't horse him in but get him landed, because they do tire, seen too many people fart around forever to land a big drum and the poor fish has little or no strength to swim off. The heavy weights mentioned above are used, depends how rough the surf is and/ or maybe they are fishing in the congo line at the point , matching their weights so everyone doesn't get crossed. What part of NC are you going to be fishing? Good luck and keep us posted.
I fish the Jacksonville area. A lot of marsh fishing for reds off my ocean kayak and new river creeks for trout. I'll almost always be at onslow beach if I'm surf fishing and might go down to mile hammock state park and take the ferry eventually.

·
Registered
177 Posts
your tackle's fine for da drum inthat area, bch or inshore. area, teethy bycatch, & presentation affect going up n ldr size. 15 - 60 will cover 90%. u dont need floro for drum, maybe n cold / clear h2o.
targeting a40" n that area prob ain't gonna happen on that rod. There are some that occasionally hit da bches, usually assciated w/ ne wind. thats where heaver comes into play, rod for conditions 1st, fish 2nd.
a 40" is better targeted n va line to portsmith or ft fisher area, again, mostly coming to bch n weather. there r those blue bird days where they can be caught w/ your rod, timing thing, alooot of days on sand & hunting instincts should b applied. or just wait for em n known areas they will hit, da point, points @inlets n those areas.

if your fishing current, artificials will need to b heavier, if your fishing bait on that rod & 4oz, use smaller bait, use shock leader & cast up current & allow belly to form n line, move your feet! or get da sinker to set. braid sucks trying to fish currrent &waves.

how long depends on your style of fishing, covering ground is just that, hit movehitmovehitmove. if currentis screaming & you can move w/ it, cast & walk, if you can drive, cast set em on da rack & nudge down da bch.
if you fishing a hole, cut,etc…fish da tide. hole sitting is dun by most, lazy way of fishing, keeps others from feeshin dair spot...fish usually move as water moves, along bch & in /out bars, hit or miss trying to pattern em or guess their routine. Then weather happens & u start the process over again…..w/ time(seasons) you'll get a broad set of info that u can predict em……

or just fish da inlets, u'l get em. ;)

i've caught a few over 40" ;) ;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Heavers are not just for the conga line, althou before they screwed Hatterass up I did fish it often. Now I use it at Portsmouth and Cape Lookout.
When your throwing big chucks or heads over 100 yards out it's going to take 7oz or more to hold on most of the good Big drum spots. Your not going to do that with a light 4oz rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts