Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm heading down to North Myrtle Beach this weekend - in-laws have a beachfront condo in Windy Hill. Any suggestions for how to fish with young 'uns there, and what I should do for me?

Also, I'm looking for a first proper saltwater rod & reel set. Budget is limited, ideally multi-piece for easy transport, and there were some big fish right near the beach when I was there last year, something at least three feet long and not sharks were demolishing bunker, and ideally I would like something that wouldn't fall apart if I happened to hook into one of them...

Thanks,
- voodoo

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can pick up a pretty good budget rod and reel combo at Walmart . It's the Shakespeare combo ugly stick. They run about $40 the rod will last forever the reel will probably last you about two seasons and then would need to be replaced. Later when the reel needs to be replaced you could pick up a Penn pursuit three 3000 series for about $45 when your budget allows. Just keep in mind that the ugly stick is a one-piece rod and may not be easy to transport depending on your situation. However, if you visit your in-laws often you could just leave it at their condo if they have room and it would be available when you came back. Just my two cents worth.
Good luck to all you folks and keep those hooks wet..

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use gx2’s for cat fishing the river at home and for surf fishing each year. They r great for the money. I have penn fierce reels on them. It’s a good combo for myself for those 2 times a year on the surf. They get s work out all summer on the river. They handle 10-15 lb cats with ease.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can pick up a pretty good budget rod and reel combo at Walmart . It's the Shakespeare combo ugly stick. They run about $40 the rod will last forever the reel will probably last you about two seasons and then would need to be replaced. Later when the reel needs to be replaced you could pick up a Penn pursuit three 3000 series for about $45 when your budget allows. Just keep in mind that the ugly stick is a one-piece rod and may not be easy to transport depending on your situation. However, if you visit your in-laws often you could just leave it at their condo if they have room and it would be available when you came back. Just my two cents worth.
Good luck to all you folks and keep those hooks wet..
I will look at it when I am down there. I would definitely prefer a two-piece (mostly so that I can take it with me if I go to any other fish able beaches) but keeping a one-piece rod down there is a possibility. At 40 bucks I might even buy 2, one to leave and one to take home if I can fit it in the car.

How much weight can it cast comfortably? Or even uncomfortably? I am specifically dreaming about whether it would cast the 6-inch bunker that got me cut off last summer - on that memorable day, there were bunker that were probably 6-8 inches being driven right to the shore and blitzed by what looked like 3-foot-long Spanish mackerel; I foul-hooked a couple while throwing spoons, and when I rigged them up as live bait on my pathetically-light rod (a) I could barely cast them out twenty feet, and (b) something took one of them and cut me clean off in the first pull.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It appears that the ugly stick does come in a two-piece Pole. I don't know if Walmart carries them though you may have to get it elsewhere. I put 20 lb monofilament line on mine and can cast a 3 Oz weight with a high low rig very easily. Most of the time I use a fish finder rig they cast a lot better. When I throw a spoon or cast King rig for blues or Spanish I use a 40 lb monofilament leader. Before you go fishing make you some extra 40 lb leaders because eventually you will get bitten off unless you replace the leaders occasionally just watch for wear and tear. Obviously these are my preferences and may not be yours. Whatever you decide to do hope you have a lot of luck.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts