Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you hear alot of people talking about wind directions and fishing. i would like to hear some of your favorite/not so favorite wind directions where you fish and why. i just fish any wind direction if it`s not too bad,but what is best i don`t know.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Moderate E/SE/NE= Clear green water(bluefish/spanish/cobia/king)
Moderate SW/NW= Brown water(skate/roundhead/spot/croaker)
West wind= This one is tricky, the water will be clear but it drops the temps way down, in the heat of summer ive seen lots of cobia on a west wind off of sandbridge pier, so if the water is already in the 70+ range west is good
Just some of my own personal observations, my favorite is a slight east breeze especially if it blows east for 3 or 4 days you never know what will be lurking around....and you can take that to the bank ha ha.geo

·
Registered
983 Posts
this is how the fisherman's rhyme goes, if you feel like applying it lol,
wind from the north, no sailor go fourth
wind from the east, fish bite the least
wind from the south, blows the bait in the fish's mouth
wind from the west, fish bite the best

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
the folks at Ocean Crest pier (oak is.) say south wind best, South West alright but not as good. Don Morris , Kabin Kamps at Drum Inlet, always said North wind flattened out the beach, and South wind knocked holes in the beach and that's where the fish were/are, and I'll put my money on that.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I'm not sure but doesn't depend on where you are ??
thought about it and check my logs...

Striper outta 1 spot likes a west wind and on a slow incoming or fast out going tide.

Been back to this striper spot during a hard NE..and got skunked.. seems the fish get pushed out too fast?

Another area that I flounder and spec fish at prefer a NW wind and a incoming tide. Lure color and presentation was more crucial

Fished one spot on the beach fer drummies on a dead low tide and west wind and blind squirreled 2 fish...:rolleyes:

Last honey hole I fished, it was blowing SW and pulled out a 45 inch drummie

So wind doesn't really play too much of a factor if your determined to get a line wet. Fish when and as hard as you can... would love to quote Forrest Gump..'bout now...

But... I still prefer a nice off-shore breeze only if it meant to keep the biting critters away....

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Moderate E/SE/NE= Clear green water(bluefish/spanish/cobia/king)
Moderate SW/NW= Brown water(skate/roundhead/spot/croaker)
West wind= This one is tricky, the water will be clear but it drops the temps way down, in the heat of summer ive seen lots of cobia on a west wind off of sandbridge pier, so if the water is already in the 70+ range west is good
Just some of my own personal observations, my favorite is a slight east breeze especially if it blows east for 3 or 4 days you never know what will be lurking around....and you can take that to the bank ha ha.geo
I'm curious...never could make head or tail of the stated wind directions without a specific "out of the" or "from". I even took a meteorology course...didn't help at all.

Do your directions indicated the origin or the destination of the wind?

Evan

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Wind at your back, nothing in your sack!:)
Many times we have a nw'r at our back on n beach here in Hatteras... Caught many a big drum when conditions were like that in Nov.. Or a sw'r at our back earlier in the season.. Seems to stack the menhaden up inside.. That is WHEN there IS menhaden to be stacked up...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I'm curious...never could make head or tail of the stated wind directions without a specific "out of the" or "from". I even took a meteorology course...didn't help at all.

Do your directions indicated the origin or the destination of the wind?

Evan
Wind direction always indicates the origin of the wind as you put it or the direction it comes from not blows to. S/E @ 10-15 kts. means the wind is coming from south east and blowing towards the north west.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
All depends on where you are, the species you're targeting and the time of year.

Wind in your face usually brings clear, green water and pushes bait in. That's a good thing in the summer and fall or in places where warm water is not too far out (e.g. the Outer Banks). But if you're fishing further north in the spring, a southerly wind helps warm the surf and push the fish up.

So let's take stripers as an example. Strong NE winds are best in the fall and early winter in Virginia or the OBX. During spring at a place like Assateague (where I've spent my last two weekends), a nice warm southerly breeze is best.

Short answer: tailor your strategy to the location, season and species.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.