Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the beach this morning from 5a - 6:30a; boy it's gonna be rough out there today if that North / Northwest wind picks up anymore. The weather.com report said 8 MPH North / Northwest but the water seemed choppier than that.

Anyway, couldn't see any bait ... water clarity ... except when I was reeling fish in and they were scattering to get out of the way.

Tagged / Released 6 flounder (12" to 14") and got another one that I tagged last week in the same spot. Today's Saltwater Assassin color of choice was Electric Chicken. For the short time I was there, they couldn't resist it.

Electric Chicken seems to work well in murky shallow water out there, but in clear shallow water I really like that Opening Night Saltwater Assassin color especially when there's a lot of glass minnows in the area.

THROW MORE / MOST / SOME OF THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
634 Posts
jake where do you usually park to fish the end of spit?...along 15th st then go over the city walkway? or do you go to that back street closest to end and park along there?...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hey Jake or anyone that knows.
If I got a room at the Comfort Inn Marina motel, can I walk back to the bridge and fish or is there any good fishing close to the motel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tight lines....

Ken

·
Registered
634 Posts
are you talking about the willoughby marina hotel? the one with the fisherman wharf resturant? ..if so you can fish the beach right behind it and walk close to bridge...dont know how close you can get to it though ....i just left from the other side of bridge....water was rough... wished i was on motel side lol

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd fish that Jetty right in front of the motel, but you can walk around on low tide and just about not get wet, but a NW Wind blows a lot of water in there even at low-tide.

I park either along that main road, across from the I64 entrance, and then walk over the public access mostly. But if I have the wife and son, a lot of times, I go down that last road, and park there as well if I think there may be a spot for an hour or two and I won't tweak anybody.

THROW MORE / SOME / MAYBE A FEW OF THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
83 Posts
Behind the resturant you will see a bunch of concrete blocks in the water. According to the old timers that is whats left of an old destroyer drug up there during WWII and filled with concrete to anchor the submarine nets. It goes out about 100' . I caught lots of flounders up to 5lbs around that in the early 80s when I lived out that way. It's snag city though. Started using slip bobbers and 1/8oz pink crappie jigs with minnows,cut down on snags and caught the biggest flounders that way. Just slide bobber stop 1' or 2' feet deeper than the water depth and let the current carry the minnow across the wreck. It takes a little while to figure out the depth thing but if your bobber is skipping and stopping then you know the minnow is on the bottom. I might be out that way Tues or Weds so if anybody sees some guy bobber fishing, no I'm not crazy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.