Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the beach from 11a - 1p ... ideal time in that there was only one other fellah on the whole beach.

My wife started out throwing some strips of cut croaker, while I was throwing the castnet. As I walked down the beach to show my 3-year old a half dozen baby pompano for him to throw back that I got in the castnet, my wife pulled in her 1st flounder.

She got one more shortly thereafter, and I hooked 3 on a chartreuse lead-head with a Space Guppy Saltwater Assassin. The water was muddy from the Northeast Wind, and that dark chartreuse always works in dark water.

I say hooked, because after I set the hook on 2 of them, I asked my son if he wanted to reel in daddy's line to see if there was a flounder on it. And he got so excited reeling them the last 15-feet in and pulling them on the beach.

He would scream and yell and jump up and down and clap, and then he'd hold the measuring tape on them while I tagged them.

We tagged 5 in that short time, and got another one with a tag so old and moss-covered I thought it was a leach. After we scraped away the muck to reveal the number, which I knew was mine, I discovered it wasn't, but it was probably at least 400-days since it was tagged first. It's been slow tagging lately but the current number is still good ... at 659 flounder YTD.

THROW SOME / ANY / MAYBE A FEW ... OF THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sounds like a great day. That is awesome letting your kid reel them in. My boy is 6 1/2 months, but he loves watching fishing shows with me. lol.

You are doing the flounder fishery a great service by all the time and effort you put in there and my hat is off to you, jake.

Keep up the good work...todd

·
Registered
634 Posts
hey jake...where do you fish for flounder on the spit? i live in middle of the spit and fish some of the the breaker jetties...been here month or so and have yet to catch a flounder:( and i fish just about every other day here.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
My daughter is 16 mos old.I can not wait to show her the finer things in life,like fishing.Got her 1st fishing pole waiting in the garage.....

Kajun-You right there in them condo's/apartments on the right side of the HRBT?toward Hampton.....

If I lived there,I don't think I ever would make it to work!
Fishing for flounder is more technique.Gotta sorta let the fish nibble,bump @ your bait.Eventually your bait will stop moving,almost feels like yer being snagged,but most likely your bait has just been swallowed,and you should set yer hook.
Earlier in the season,the flatties were pretty much gourging them selves on the 4 inch storm shads that I was using @ the Spit(monster Greys).But they seem to like the Tsunami lead in-bedded silver side lookin plastics I am currently using(looks like a 3 inch silver side with a forked tail,almost like an assassin,but blues barely mess with them).A real slow retrieve with occassional twiches,drives the flatties mad!

I am pretty sure the flounder,as Jake had mention are still there.
You can also fish with them using a fish-finder rig with at least a 12 inch leader hand snelled to a long shanked size 1 hook.A long strip of squid or blue fish belly is a flounder's buffet line.I have been doing good with menhaden on a modified Texas rig.

I hope this helps,
And I will see you this Striper Season!!!!!OCT 4.........................

Good Luck,
AL

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I concur. The current was really moving along all the jetties today, but I usually get as far down current as I can on a jetty, and then throw back up into the moving water and let the jig sort of bounce along the bottom as it works its way back to me and then slightly beyond.

Once it's by me, I reel in and throw out. That's a pretty simple technique with the jigs. But it's all feel for the bite, and the lighter the leadhead you can use and still feel the bottom the better.

The same works true on those "texas rigged" strips of fish. Only as heavy a sinker as you need to feel the bottom bouncing along. That's the same strategy those drifting boat guys use ... and it works on the shoreline too.

I mean in heavy current if you throw upstream, you're basically drifting your bait while you stand stationary instead of dropping the bait over the boat and allowing the boat to drift while technically the bait stays stationary.

THROW MORE / SOME / MAYBE A FEW OF THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
634 Posts
nserch..i live in the middle of willoughby..between 9th and 10th view beachside.....there are some breakwater jetties off the beach...i guess you were fishing all the way at the end of the spit by the bridge.....i'm gonna have to get down there and try it out..havent fished there yet....

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Kajun-Flounder are predatory and opprotunistic feeders,and the jetty and the bridge hold a potential amt of bait @ that end of the Spit.

You can catch them all along the stretch of OceanView,but I have always had luck @ that end.

Also-bring a net,lost a many a fish-esp legal sized flounder by being to cheap to buy a nice net....Lesson(s) learned

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.