Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple packs of these things, pearl 4 in, and mullet 6 in. are these things worth anything for catching stripers? they are the holographic ones...

I also bought some hurricane 4 in shad pearl/black.

anyone have any recommended colors to make sure I have? just saw them, and got them to see if they work.

thanks

shore

D

·
0 Posts
caught my first striper on a wildeye today. 5 in. bunker color. guy at green top said croaker was a hot color this fall. also heard success on the blueback ones and the mullet ones too.

·
Registered
634 Posts
they are DEADLY!excellent bait

i use golden mullet....i picked up a bag of "chesapeake bay lures" red eye slamm'n shad at BPS...look exactly like storm lures and cheaper ,5 for $3.49.. gonna be using them tonight on the headboat...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rogo I guess I need to get some of them blue ones..i have the golden mullet, and the pearl, with some diff black and pearl, but need the blue ones, wally world usually out of them. but will check a different wallmart, they are pretty cheap there, 6 for only like 279 or 379 something like that.. i have 4" pearl and black/pearl, but I have 6" golden mullet, they didn't hve the blue at 6" either, but did hve it in 4 ", will prob stop in and get some, taking my boy to the moster truck show tonight in hampton, so will prob fish tomorrow. any ideas on where to fish in daytime?

shore

·
Registered
691 Posts
Can't Live Without 'Em!!

Storm's are an excellent bait! I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than 5" this time of year. However, during the summer months, we use the 3" on Flounder and Trout Very frequently. Also, I have nabbed some NICE Mahi Mahi on them casting to weedlines/ bouys offshore..... That's freakin' AWESOME!!! Anyway, I can't say enough good things about them. I like all the color offerings, my favorite being red/ pearl, Croaker, and Blue Shad, for Striper. Offshore, any of them that are 6", seemed to have produced. Fish On

Zigh
><((((*>
:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
haven't tried it yet, but.....

..we'll surely try that set-up out this December. I have heard the same. We have run them on 3-way's, in-line, and wireline, with good success. I want to make an umbrella rig out of them SOON to run on the boat. I can't imagine many fish passing up one of 8-9 baits of that type grouped together. I think we'll run 100lbs. on that rig to account for possible 2XSlob hook-up's. OUCH!!!!!!
Fish On

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
691 Posts
sorry if that was boat talk

Although, you can utilize the 3-way, or in-line from shore. You just need a strong current or a swift retrieve;) ..............

Zigh
><(((*>

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nothing less than 6" man my wife will be happy...lmao...j/k

that is kewl tho, I have alot of the 4 in ones, only 6" ones i have are the golden mullet.

just out of curosity, is the reason you say use the 6' ones, the same philosophy as the bigger the bait the bigger the fish? or is there another logical explaination?

shore

·
Registered
691 Posts
size matter(s)......

I'm sure all sizes work, but as you suggested; bigger bait=bigger fish. I've seen them using 9"-12" baits, and these seem to attract some healthy specimens. I'm not to keen on a 9" Storm bait, only because I'm not sure how well they will hold up after a fish or 2. That'd be an expensive way to go. I've seen this one set-up that has the 1st half of the body formed like a Stretch30+, and the back half or 1/3, is rubber. Looked deadly~! Fish on

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Storms sweeping the nation

Those Storm shads are one of the best baits to hit the market.I use the 4 inch croaker color this spring and caught 3 gray trout 29to 31 inches.not to mention a bunch over 24 all at the willoughby spit jetty.Nserch4drum and i met up using them out there this spring.He'll protest to how good they are as well.I also am hearing there tearing up the rock and specks at the cbbt.
Went to the jetty thursday evening low tide had 2 hits on the storm but thats it nothing on the rattl trap... hopefully things will get moving here soon going out there monday evening for a little while after work .. try them again..

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Caught a few striper last night on the rainbow trout color 4" Storm Shad after they stopped biting Rat-L-Traps. They practically inhaled the shads. Good prices at Boaters World as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
wazz up all
i had good luck this past winter on rainbow and the mullet 4 to 6 inch
rigged them in two like a bottom rig kinda
about 6 to 8 in between them.
was cool hitting double hook ups too makes schoolies feel
strong

good luck

·
Registered
634 Posts
shorefisherman...check out my nov16th report in the boating board....all on those redeye slamm'n storm shads

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Eaglesfan.

Be @ the Spit 2nite,for a while,until momma comes home.

I still have that pic.I will email it to ya.

You gotta try those Chesapeake Bay lures,they look like storms,but are cheaper.

Ocean's east2 has emm for 3.99 a pack.And you get 6 instead of 5 per pack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts