Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm generally fishing, not always catching. I go all Winter long. Trout in the freshwater and occasionally I'll try for perch in the salt. I've got new materials coming this week and I'm going to tie some slick pickerel flies to test out on the Magothy.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I'm generally fishing, not always catching. I go all Winter long. Trout in the freshwater and occasionally I'll try for perch in the salt. I've got new materials coming this week and I'm going to tie some slick pickerel flies to test out on the Magothy.
Thanks weatherman,- for answering my question. This is first time seeing this. I will be back in Md. and probably be fishing Monday morning. Had a good month in FL. Got some picture to post.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately there is too much run-off from farms and nearby Damascus to allow for the survival of brookies. The browns do just fine in there though.

Here's another one from a quick outing yesterday. I lost count of the number of fallfish I caught, but finally this pretty wild brown graced me with its presence. I played it a little too long and ended up spooking a second wild one that was also sitting in the same small depression. I hooked and lost another one just above a favorite large pool. The stockers certainly took a beating over the summer, but they still are around in smaller numbers. By now the fish have spread quite thoroughly throughout the stream, though this time of year they will congregate in the few remaining deep pools in the river. You'll need to put some mileage on your boots to find them!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I went out looking for browns myself today but in a more north direction. Second time trying for them and today they were on the feed with this bit of rain and warm weather.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We dumped a lot of trout in the Upper Patuxent yesterday. Many rainbows in the 18-20" class and browns in the 15-16" class, including some nice kyped males. Standard stockie sized browns went in as well. They are distributed from the poacher's pool above 94 down to below Howard Chapel Rd ~0.5 mile. We only put fish in the deep "sucker holes" since they'll need to feed on minnows to survive the winter. I think every inch of water between those two points was covered by our seven crews. Happy hunting, and remember, leave the power bait at home and pinch your barbs!

·
Registered
240 Posts
You guys do great work. I really appreciate the time you put into providing the community with an excellent winter fishery. Thank you.

BTW how does one become "kyped?"

·
Registered
508 Posts
You guys do great work. I really appreciate the time you put into providing the community with an excellent winter fishery. Thank you.

BTW how does one become "kyped?"
If you are not joking around with that word, male trout often have "kyped" lower jaw and darker color, especially for large ones. Of course some trout with and without kype could be illegally "kyped" after the stocking.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
if you are not joking around with that word, male trout often have "kyped" lower jaw and darker color, especially for large ones. Of course some trout with and without kype could be illegally "kyped" after the stocking.
huh??

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kype refers to the hook jaw some males will get during the spawn. It also is a slang term for theft, I believe.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oh yeah the hooked jaw, ok.

I knew the slang term, never knew it had an "official" meaning as well. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts