Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a discussion, from the older dudes, that can tell us stories of the lures that worked 20-30 years ago, that no one uses anymore.

Why stop using them?? What caused the stoppage. The Manns Stingray Grub was a trout killer at the beach.

Stories please...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Im guessing its becouse people get carried away and think that just couse theres new technology its better than the oldschool stuff! Which is sometimes not true, the old lures worked and they were way simpler and alot easier to make i just guess people think that becouse the new one has a rattle and a a holographic flash its better which can sometimes be true but alot of times it can be missleading! Some old salts will come in and i believe alot will agree, this happens alot with video games and all of that stuff!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I still use sting ray grubs, mostly in fresh water. My go to lure in saltwater is still a white bucktail. But I really like some of the new stuff too. It seems the boaters in the Bay are going retro and they think they are using the latest and greatest: surgical hose eels, bass assasines, hopkins, zara spooks etc.

You should run a desert island poll: if you could only have one lure...what would it be.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Agreed on the bucktail for salt - white with red head usually. I always toss them in my bag, even if I think I'm only going to be bottom fishing. That would be my "old reliable."

For freshwater, I still throw a Lucky 13 - same one I threw as a kid. I don't know if they make them anymore or not. Also for freshwater, I still keep some "Shyster" spinners in my trout bag.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Old Lures

I would vote for the old(and new) Zara Spook. I have both and they are deadly in both fresh and saltwater. Some are wood and some are plastic.

The poster mentions the Lucky 13. I also fished these things as a kid and still have many.

The original Rapala. This plug was and is still deadly.

There was this plug, white with a blue eye that was deadly when trolled for crappie(speckled perch). I just thought of the name; it was the Pico Perch.

I could go on and on. I have 5 tackle boxes loaded with plugs. I never throw one away. I may give one to a deserving kid or a fish takes one, but the one taken by a fish is replaced.

I have to go along with the jig in saltwater. White is my favorite color. C2

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a place on the Chickahominy Lake and often night fish for LMB during the summer. My favorite lures are the black Fred Argobast Jitterbugs (1938) and Hula Poppers (1941).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I still use Jitterbugs and Hula Poppers for largemouth bass fishing down here in Florida. You can't beat those plugs. I still throw a Devil's Horse too. LOL I believe they were made by Smithwick?

I caught my first bass on a Jitterbug when I was about nine back in the early seventies. That's how I got hooked on topwater plug tossing for bass and snook.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
When my mom and dad go over to the beach, he still throws a Dalton Special (that he's replaced hooks on probably 50 times since the 60's or 70's) in the lake there at the campground. He still catches largemouth on those. That was a good lure, too.

I still use Jitterbugs and Hula Poppers for largemouth bass fishing down here in Florida. You can't beat those plugs. I still throw a Devil's Horse too. LOL I believe they were made by Smithwick? . . . .
A lot of people around here in the TVA lakes still throw Jitterbugs. I haven't thrown a Hula Popper in years, but I have some in one of my boxes. Yes, I do believe Smithwick made the Devil's Horse, SM. I think Evans made the Shysters I referred to in an earlier post.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I still use Atom 40's, some have been repainted, a few times. I still use the older Rebel's. The old 'Cheater's, and some older Redfin's. I used these for years, and when I see some on E bay, i try to grab 'em.
I still use tin squids, as my metal's. I used bucktails back in the 70's, in the surf, and still do. :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You know I was just looking through an old tackle box. I found a classic MirrOlure 7M 18 plug that's gotta be from the late 70's early 80's. Not much difference from the new plugs today except for the reflective foil inserts they used to use back then and the hook mounts are a little different.

Other than that it's basically the same plug as the ones they make today. I still prefer the 7M 18 and 21 for big speckled trout down here in Florida. They make a bunch of others now and I've used them all, but the 7M is tried and true.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
still like a hopkins or kastmaster for stripers and trout. Plastics have there place and I use them when needed.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Good question. When I moved into my current house I found a small box from the previous owner which had a hand made bucktail lure on a hand line. Looks like he used leather for the fringes. I've been wanting to try it out, but would hate to lose it. Can't help but wonder how many fish he caught with it though.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Used to use the "Lazy Ikes", older Rapalas, "Hula Poppers", "Jitterbugs", and two of my favorites but not quite so old...Tom Mann's "Li'l George" and "Big George".

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
There's an old joke in the tackle industry that goes like this: "To catch the fish, first you have to catch the fisherman." Sometimes products are great at catching fish but just aren't marketed well and so disappear.

The Cisco Kid comes to mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Old lures.....

Its hard to beat the Hopkins spoons. I use these in fresh and salt water. These things will catch almost anything that swims. Many years ago me and a friend were on Kerr Lake (NC) and we both fished a 1/2 oz & 3/4 oz. Hopkins. We were in 20-30ft of water. We dropped the lure to bottom, reeled up about 2-3 ft. and started jigging it up and letting it flutter down. We caught Bass, stripers, catfish, crappie, bream, white bass and even a fresh water drum. I have several in the 6oz that I throw from the beach for stripers and drum in salt water.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
How about a discussion, from the older dudes, that can tell us stories of the lures that worked 20-30 years ago, that no one uses anymore.

Why stop using them?? What caused the stoppage. The Manns Stingray Grub was a trout killer at the beach.

Stories please...
I remember the stingray Grub I caught my first Speckled trout on a white grub.

still like a hopkins or kastmaster for stripers and trout. Plastics have there place and I use them when needed.
I like these also but my favorite id the Sting Silver

There's an old joke in the tackle industry that goes like this: "To catch the fish, first you have to catch the fisherman." Sometimes products are great at catching fish but just aren't marketed well and so disappear.

How true

All these lure are and were great lures in there time. Some are still being made and some have been discontinued its to bad but that is just the way it is.

·
Registered
541 Posts

I heard a slightly different version of that joke.

Most lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I still use some old Point Jude popperes that I have makes for great weakfishin.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts