Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this isn't too dumb a question.

Why do so many of you fish at night? Do the fish tend to bite more then or is it a matter of convenience? I am not much of a night person. I would prefer to show up at SPSP at 6:30 in the morning rather than 9:00 at night.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Fishing to me is always better at night, during the day right now I have noticed with the heat the fish tend to bite less. That is just my opinion plus I love being out at night. I am more likely to go out late in the day then getting up very early in the morning.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Watch out for the Boogie Man

Fishing at Night
Without question, most anglers do the majority of their fishing during daylight hours, or during the lowlight hours before and after dawn and dusk. Yet, depending on the time of year and individual game fish species, many anglers miss out on some excellent fishing opportunities in the dark of night.

Despite the lack of daylight, night fishing can definitely have its rewards. Bodies of water are usually much less crowded at night, providing less competition on the water. There is often a greater degree of solitude after dark, wind and water are usually calmer, and at certain times of the year, primarily summer, water temperatures cool a few degrees causing deep-dwelling fish to come shallow. Plus, certain game fish are naturally nocturnal, meaning they are more active and likely to feed at night. The catfish species are prime examples.

Many nighttime anglers believe the lunar phases have a powerful effect on game fish activity and feeding habits at night. In general, nights with a new moon or full moon are commonly believed to be best for fishing.

Good Luck in the Dark and don't let the Boggie Man getya

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Ditto Kozlow. Additionally, tidal movement is stronger at night meaning there is more bait fish movement for the big boys to feed on. For me it was a natural carry over from the days when I only targeted catfish. When the sun went down the big cats were ready for supper.:D

Catman.:)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
As reddog1,Kozlow,catman, said it's alot better to fish at nite.(1) during the day it's to hot or there is to many people making noise in the water(2) the water cools off and you might get a cool breeze blowing to keep the bugs off of you and less people to deal with. I like fishing on a full moon(surf)(AI) you can catch a verity of fish even large sharks and if your there at the right time of year you can also watch the sea turtles come ashore,it's also quite except for the waves,once you've experanced that you'll come back time and time again. As I write this I can still hear the waves breaking on the surf,want to go back,maybe some day. TRIGGER

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Joey...Tidal movement is the strongest at night because the noon is closer and it's gravatational pull is at it's peek. At least that's how it was explained to me. If you look at the tables the height of high tide is, with a few exceptions, higher at night than during the day. This higher water results in more current flow (horizontal water movement) on the outgoing (ebb) tide. Now that I've totally confused myself I think I'll go fishing tonight if there's an outgoing tide. :D

Catman.;)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
i go whenever i can night or day but on the wknd defintly at night the other fisher people usualy gone before dark leavn the place to me :cool:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah at night is better bc like catman said it has a lot to do with the moon. And if you notice sometimes the moon is up during the day and the day tide will be very strong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts