Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nine year old grandson, the fishing guru, had been telling me about a SPINNINGreel that cost over a thousand bucks. He saw it on YouTube and showed me a clip of someone loosing the reel overboard and freaking out.... Well, I was skeptical...Then Saturday, we went by our local BASS PRO SHOPS and there she was (under the locked display box, of course ...I looked around but could not spot the Brinks Guard that was no doubt watching over this reel) Anyway, I saw it and wondered if the gears were platinum or gold?!?! Anyway, we managed to get out of the store without buying one,,,,
So, can anyone explain to me why this reel is so expensive?
(We bought two IX Shimano reels 1000(14 bucks...apiece) which were the reels I used and maintained for Dr.Wright (SALTWATER FISHING WITH DR.JIM) for years. And ,boy did the folks on that boat ABUSE those reels!!! I personally have caught cobia with those little reels....and now that 99% of my fishing is with my grandson, I need reels that can take it....
But I wouldn't be able to take a thousand dollar plus SPINNING reel out of the house....
Of course, Penn Internationals were a different story.
So.....enlighten me!

BA:confused:

·
Registered
429 Posts
They are no different than knives, guns, or cars. Will a hi point go bang for $150? Sure will. Will a $10 knife from a gas station cut things? Yep. Stella, diawa saltiga, Penn torque, van stalls, zeebass, accurate twinspins are all extremely high quality precision tools made for a purpose. You ain't catching tuna with a shimano ix.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I got around 7 or 8 stella's no other reel can compare to the smoothness imo. They are not the best reels for surf fishing though. Stella's and sand don't mix. I use them mostly for boat fishing for jigging and casting to big fish that pull lots of drag. I haven't tried the newest version of stella though.. mine are still going strong and haven't needed to upgrade. The platinum service shimano offers for stella's are amazing also anything wrong they usually fix for free withing 3 days of receiving the reel. I can't think of any other reel company that offers that kind of service

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I got around 7 or 8 stella's no other reel can compare to the smoothness imo. They are not the best reels for surf fishing though. Stella's and sand don't mix. I use them mostly for boat fishing for jigging and casting to big fish that pull lots of drag. I haven't tried the newest version of stella though.. mine are still going strong and haven't needed to upgrade. The platinum service shimano offers for stella's are amazing also anything wrong they usually fix for free withing 3 days of receiving the reel. I can't think of any other reel company that offers that kind of service
I just picked up two Stellas on that Chinese internet wholesale tackle site on the other thread.

Got them both for $750, who ever pays $1000 a piece must be a sucker...

Shipping was confirmed with control number just after my Western Union wire transfer was accepted.

I am looking to get bowed up in less than four days via FedEx International:)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I just picked up two Stellas on that Chinese internet wholesale tackle site on the other thread.

Got them both for $750, who ever pays $1000 a piece must be a sucker...

Shipping was confirmed with control number just after my Western Union wire transfer was accepted.

I am looking to get bowed up in less than four days via FedEx International:)
Nice did you also send money to your rich uncle in Nigeria? ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep...about what I expected.
And the last tunas I caught on a spinning reel was the old Shimano that had the free spool feature (don't remember the number) and casting spoons from the front deck of "Therapy"....Of course, that was when we had Shimano sponsorship and got all that stuff free.(our favorite price) Still, I can't help[ chuckling at spinners for that much...Still, SOMEBODY has got to support the CHINESE!!!

BA

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Nice did you also send money to your rich uncle in Nigeria? ;)
Now that is a coincidence, just last week I did invest heavily with a Nigerian Banker, I am not sure how he reached me, but things are working out to the good.

It looks to be an exciting week coming up with my new fishing reels on the way, plus all the money I am making with the Bankco Lagos investment :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I purchased several Stellas about 15-18 years ago as new/old stock via eBay when Shimano moved from the FA model to the FB model. A couple were picked up lightly used. I did not pay list price!

I used to fish a lot, enough to tell myself that I can tell the difference between a high end reel and a less expensive model, much in the way that I can tell the difference between an Ugly Stik and a Loomis rod.
Yeah, they both catch fish.
A rusted out Yugo will take you places, but so will a Ferrari. You get what you can afford or appreciate.

There are not enough ooooooo's in smooth to describe the difference between a reel like the Shimano IX, with maybe two or three bearings and a upper end reel with 12-13 bearings.

And the Stellas were heavily used and not babied.
I do maintain my equipment pretty well.

I used to return them yearly to Shimano for cleaning, lubing and reconditioning, but because of their age, Shimano is no longer willing to do this. I have two 1000 FAs and two 2500 FAs that are getting a little "rough."
Kinda frustrating to have them refuse to service their top of the line product.

Were they worth the money? To me they were, but that's a value judgement I leave up to the individual.

BTW: I have two to sell, one a 4000 FA with a spare spool (it has a small chip missing from the reel foot, but it clamps to a rod with no problem), and a 5000 FA, also with a spare spool. Both have been used perhaps 3 times, they are a bit heavier than what I fish with these days.
If interested send me a p.m.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yep...about what I expected.
And the last tunas I caught on a spinning reel was the old Shimano that had the free spool feature (don't remember the number) and casting spoons from the front deck of "Therapy"....Of course, that was when we had Shimano sponsorship and got all that stuff free.(our favorite price) Still, I can't help[ chuckling at spinners for that much...Still, SOMEBODY has got to support the CHINESE!!!

BA
Shimano is Japanese not Chinese. Their cheaper reels are usually assembled in Malaysia while higher end reels made in Japan.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Van Staal comes with little grease in them.Its enough for limited use ,but if you fish alot it will not be very smooth at all.I take mine apart and use a mix of synthetic rear end fluid and synthetic oil to make a "tacky"lube and my stays smooth regardless of use.Just a thought to put out there if you want a smoother reel,probably will work for all.(just dont overload your reel,regardless of grease type).The synthetic stays smoother in the colder temps.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My buddy has one that ive tried and yes it was extremely smooth,but he said the place he bought it told him to "be careful" around salt water.They apparently dont hold up well in salt water.At that price i would be scared to use it .But as said ,one of the smoothest reels ive used.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The big Stella's are made for jigging and popping for big pelagic fish. It's a boat reel. Not made for reeling underwater like a van staal or zeebass.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I fished hard all my life, and I don't need a $1500 reel. We had a guy at the Venice South Jetty that showed people his Stella reel on his $300 rod. I didn't see him catch any fish. If you got the money, and want one, go for it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I can see the need for a van steal if you need something nearly indestructible. But anything north of a $1000 for a "boat" spinning reel is ridiculous. Don't care how smooth it is.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I can see the need for a van steal if you need something nearly indestructible. But anything north of a $1000 for a "boat" spinning reel is ridiculous. Don't care how smooth it is.
no need for luxury vehicles either or high end surf rods. Ugly sticks and yugo's for all

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not just smoothness. A Stella sw 20k can put out 55lbs of drag and live. Most cheap spinning reels would self destruct at half of that amount of drag. I wouldn't buy a Stella. I have no use for one. Doesn't mean they don't have a time and a place.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts