Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has always amused me when someone says,"any kings?Then someone repliesw with,"yep!,we are reeling them in like crazy on shrimp!"

from cape fear south a kingfish is a kingmackerel.A mullet is a jumping fish often used to catch king mackerel.a sea mullet is a whitting

farther north a kingfish is a whitting and a seamullet is a whitting.seamullet??

is there a river mullet or pond mullet?? Always got a kick out of the different names given to fish along our coast.

myrtle beach-----spot tail

north of cape fear---puppy drum

ITS A FRIPPIN WHITTING PEOPLE!!! not a king! not a frippin sea mullet.

next time someone asks me for mullet(for cut bait) to catch WHITTING im going to fillet a whitting and give to them...opps you call it a sea mullet!!hahahahaha

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
ya outta learn to spell it before you get your panties all twisted up about something... it's whiting... :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
The common name for "whiting/sea mullet" (local names) is gulf, northern and southern kingfish depending on the species... so when someone says they're catching kingfish on shrimp they aren't wrong. :D
The confusion begins with the local names for both kingfish and king mackeral.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
The common name for "whiting/sea mullet" (local names) is gulf, northern and southern kingfish depending on the species... so when someone says they're catching kingfish on shrimp they aren't wrong. :D
The confusion begins with the local names for both kingfish and king mackeral.
ding ding ding! We have a winner!

But y'all forgot one name:
Smack Mammy Good

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

next time someone asks me for mullet(for cut bait) to catch WHITTING im going to fillet a whitting and give to them...opps you call it a sea mullet!!hahahahaha
Uhhhh, there's nothing wrong with calling fish by their correct names.

Pretty funny that you think the rest of the coast is wrong just because you have assigned the actual names of completely different species to a single fish and refuse to call a Kingfish by its real name :confused:

·
Registered
348 Posts
When in Rome....

When in Florida I talk about Whiting.

When I'm on the OBX, I'm catching Sea Mullet.

When I'm fishing DE or MD, I'm catching Kingfish (mostly Southern but sometimes Northern).

I think it's kind of neat that different regions have different names for the same fish. Ya just gotta know what the locals call them that's all.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Tweed is right! They're tasty, and the wife likes em even more than me! Figger it out...

But while we're on it, here in the Tidewater area they are refered to as roundheads. I haven't heard the term much outside of here. Anyone know about that?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
yep i grew up callin them tasty little suckers roundheads. when i moved down to the outerbanks they looked at me funny when i said roundhead. nobody knew what i was talking about. now people in va look at me funny when i say sea mullet. i caught 2.5 lb sea mullet last fall in the surf, i want to get out on ovp and catch another. i talked to some kids down the street and they caught a mess of them out there.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Another one that I like is the menhaden. In the Northeast they are bunker. In North Carolina they are menhaden. South of the line they are pogies.

People give me all manner of strange looks (except Hoss the German) when I say menhaden or bunker down on CG.

Evan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another one that I like is the menhaden. In the Northeast they are bunker. In North Carolina they are menhaden. South of the line they are pogies.

People give me all manner of strange looks (except Hoss the German) when I say menhaden or bunker down on CG.

Evan

Ok, now I know what your talking about.

When the blues hit them, it looks like someone poured hot lard in the water.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Let's see,

Sea Mullet, Round Head, Virginia Mullet, Whiting

Puppy drum, Drum, Channel Bass, Spot Tail Bass, Red Fish, Red Drum

Speckeled Trout, Specks, Spotted Sea Trout

Gray Trout, Weak Fish, Tide Runners

Spot, Spot, Spot, Spot, Spot

Hey, there's something we all agree on.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Go to Kroger Grocery, open the Fish Freezer and look at what they have.

They don't have Kingfish, they don' t have sea mullet, they have Whiting Fillets.

So the commercial name is Whiting and Kroger is not just a local Food Chain they are all over the Eastern Coast

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
GAME OVER!
Menticirrhus americanus
Menticirrhus saxatilis
Menticirrhus littoralis

The only "TRUE" names for the sea mullet/whiting/sea monkey/ kingfish/roundhead/samaches/ Dr Bubba purple pill/ mm mmmm good/ drum/striper candy

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Go to Kroger Grocery, open the Fish Freezer and look at what they have.

They don't have Kingfish, they don' t have sea mullet, they have Whiting Fillets.

So the commercial name is Whiting and Kroger is not just a local Food Chain they are all over the Eastern Coast
Yes but do you have any idea how many other fish are called whiting?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts