Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a St Croix 10.5 foot conventional rod (3-8oz.) I intend to pair it with an Ambassadeur 7000. I fish blues and stripers on the Jersey coast from Bay Head to Cape May (4 -5n bait on this rig). All my prevoius experience (limited at that) is with spinning gear and I recently had a bad experience casting spiderwire on a Diawa 27H.

Anyway would you guys kindly give me some direction on brands of line and pound test that I should be looking at, I use shockleaders.

The board it great, I,ve been reading it for about three months: great stuff, great administration, great server. Where do I send check to become a supporter?

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ken , for Jersey you really only need 15lb test but 20 lb will make your 7000 a little tamer to cast . If you already own the 7000 go ahead and use , if yoy are looking to buy a new reel either a penn 525mas or abu 6500 mag are sufficient for anything you will see around Jersey .
Any good name brand will work , I use big game solar because I can see it but line by suffix etc are all good these days with the exception of I don't like ande , very springy .

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Conman,

I've been using clear/blue stren on my spinning gear but with all the talk about braid I wondered if there was an advantage to it, particularly on conventionals? Do you have experience with the ambassadeurs, what are thier characteristics?

Thanks again Ken

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Bluesman,unless you have hit the lottery,I would stick with Mono on any Casting(conventional )reel
I prefer 17-15 lbs Suffix Tritanium.
You won't hurt so much on the wallet when you are learning to cast with mono(I have been known to blow a spool up by just lookin at it,so re-spooling my 525MAg and Daiwa SLH30 has been a necessary evil).
I how ever am using 80lbs PPro as a shock(I was having a problem when the shock line knot would catch a guide,and eventually blow a spool up).

Think I have finally tamed my reels.......

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ns4D,

You make me feel good, this past weekend I all but welded spiderwire to the spool of a Diawa I was playing/practicing with while I'm waiting for my new reel. The spool must have overrun the line on the cast. The end of the line is burried so deep I can't even find it. Guess I'll have to cut all the surface peices till I find a good running line. That stuff is too expensive for a dozen practice casts. I,m going to take your guys' advice on line weight and mono. I've never wrapped the mono that tight in 40 years, though I have had some bird's nests that would due justice to an eagle.

Thanks for the info, Ken

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Longcaster,

This is a great board and a great forum. I've learned a lot just observing the questions and answers of others. Hope to get back into surf fishing heavy this spring. Right now I have the means to put some good equipment together, if I can get any kind of technique going I should be able to get over that hump that's always out there.

Is there an address to send checks, I'd like to become a supporter in 04.

Thanks again, Ken

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Under :Contact Us,click Support and follow the directions.Welcome aboard and sand flea thanxs you fer your support!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks NS4D,

Its little return for all I've learned here already.

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts