• Left

Votes: 21 70.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious, which hand do you reel with? Even though I am right handed I reel with my left hand because I throw right handed and don't like switching hands, plus I would rather have my dominant hand holding the rod!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
You need a both option in the pole since most people I know use the left for spinning and the right for Conv. I know only a couple of people who just use one hand(my brother-in-law, who uses his right when he has the option).

·
Registered
44 Posts
For the most part I'm sure coventional reels now come in both right and left handed. You should go with what you feel comfortable with. I myself have a right handed Abu and I'm right handed and am very happy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm with you BLUERUNNER, I much prefer to play a fish with my right hand and "reel" with my left.

However I'm not sure the pros and reel manufacturers are with us. You've probably noticed the scarcity of left cranking conventional reels. I think the pros switch hands to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome and tennis elbow - they make many more casts than I in a day.

Anyway I'm currently using left hand curados for bait casting and all my Penn spinning reels, salt and fresh, are converted to left hand.

Just ordered a left hand ambassadeur 7000 from Hatteras Outfitters, can't wait to get my hands on that for Spring.

Keep cranking, no matter which hand!

Ken

·
Registered
374 Posts
Both

Left - spinning
Right - conventional & fly

The norm is to reel with your dominant hand as most people are able to crank faster with this hand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is one that Iv'e never been sure about, I write right handed, but throw left handed, but I tend to cast using my right hand, and then change hand to hold the rod left handed and reel with the right. I'm sure Iv'e messed my daughter up with her casting and reteaving because i'm screwed up. Never been to sure she's all right handed, but is it what hand you hold the rod in or what hand you reel with that determines right or left handed?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
both and it doesn't matter what type of reel

·
Registered
823 Posts
both

left-spinning
right-conventional

·
Registered
315 Posts
OK Guys,

Why do you use a left hand retrieve for spinning and and a right hand retrieve for conventional, except in some instances plug casting where you also use your left hand?

Is it by choice, you like it that way. Or only right hand conventional reels are available in the reel of your choice. Or are you resting your casting arm between casts. Or something else?

I started using left hand retrieve reels when fluke fishing.
You leave the reel in free spool with your thumb on it, when you feel a bite you let the bait drop back, when he has it, bang, you set the hook turn the crank with your left hand and go. No switching hands. Now I like holding the rod in my right hand while waiting for bites from all species, it's become natural to reel with the left hand and play the fish with the right.

But, not all conventional reels are available in left hand cranking configuration.

Just curious?
Ken

·
Registered
823 Posts
HABIT

just always done it that way

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Just came natural when I started fishing 30 + years ago.

When I got my first spin-casting reel, I used my right hand to cast it and in the same motion in the left side of the reel ends up in my left hand palm and my right goes to the crank. But this was a short rod, fishing in fresh water for Pike.

But I can see myself using a left hand crank on a longer conv. rod/reel where you need 2 hands to cast it.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
"No switching hands"

Learned this Tournament Bass fishing with conventional reels.

Throwing lures, it just gets too time consuming, besides being a pain, to switch hands on every cast. Plus there is "always" that time that the lure is just hitting the water and "BAM", a fish nails it.... what were you doing??? Switching hands :rolleyes:

Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Re: "No switching hands"

wizardude said:
Learned this Tournament Bass fishing with conventional reels.

Throwing lures, it just gets too time consuming, besides being a pain, to switch hands on every cast. Plus there is "always" that time that the lure is just hitting the water and "BAM", a fish nails it.... what were you doing??? Switching hands :rolleyes:

Just my $.02
If that were to happen to me, I would just set the hook with my right hand then switch when I have the fish hooked. I use my right hand for both conventional and spinning. Even though I am right handed, my dad was left handed and had all his reels set up that way so I just kept it the same.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Re: Re: "No switching hands"

Anthony said:
If that were to happen to me, I would just set the hook with my right hand then switch when I have the fish hooked.
The problem I see with that (at least with the reels I use), until you switch hands, you have "yet" to engage the reel. Yes I've done the "hold the spool with my thumb to set", but it's a prime situation for a birds nest, or cut fingers with braid if it's a substantial fish.

Interesting how many spin fishermen are using a right hand crank. Guess it all comes down to how you learned, and what's comfortable to the individual.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Rod butt in my gut or else between my side and elbow, rod in right hand with real seat between a couple fingers, and reel handle in my left hand. Spinning gear of course. I'm probably too set in my way to switch. The spinning gear is just too familiar to me.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I always reel spinning with left and convetional with right. As BASSMAN was saying, sometimes you need to set the hook quick when fishing lures. I always fish lures with a spinner because I can throw the lure farther. The only convetionals I use are long-distance casters and big game reels. These do not require an immediate hook set so I have time to switch hands.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Seems like I'm with the majority for once -- I reel left handed with spinning gear, and right handed with conventional reels. My buddy Ed has to switch his spinning reels to right hand retrieve, but I think this is because he grew up with a Zebco spincast reel.

One disadvantage I can see with the switching hands while bass fishing scenario is that the fish gets that extra microsecond to either spit the lure or bury itself in weeds or stickups. Remember, tournament fishermen aren't fishing for bass, they are fishing for dollars. A missed fish can hurt you big time back at the scales....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts