Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might seem long winded but I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I recently picked up one of the new ABU blue yonders in the 7000 frame and I've been on the hunt for the perfect rod. I've heard about the CCP rods for a few years now but finally handled a 13' 6-10 at a local shop and after wiping my drool off decided I was in love. I fish off piers and shore equally as much and roughly cast 6 plus bait (usually 2/3 of a mendaden or an eel) 75% of the time. Intended species typically being cobia, bull reds and shark. I can hold my own but still consider myself a novice caster. What I'm looking for is the perfect balance of fighting ability, possible distance, and the ability to add another ounce or two of weight with bait if needed. The reel is also spooled with 330 yds of tangerine suffix tritanium and will have a 50lb shock leader long enough to have a few wraps on the spool while leading a large fish to gaff or net from a pier. I've narrowed it down between the 12'8" 4-8, 13' 3-6, 13'6-10, and 13ft 8-12. In everyone's more experienced opinion which of the listed rods would best suit my needs? Also is my choice of shock leader appropriate?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a 13' 3-6 oz. CPS, great rod, casts very well, I don't think it would be your choice for the weight and bait you want to cast. I'm sure Tommy will steer you in the right direction, good luck.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have three of the rods you listed as possible choices, do not have the 13' 8-12.......yet.

I would think that the 13' 6-10 would be best suited for what you want to do. I throw 6 & bait (mullet/bunker/other fish) most of the time, going up to 8 & bait when needed. I think the 12' 4-8 would do the job, but you might feel under gunned at times that you needed to throw heavier weights with larger bait. Of course, these are just my thoughts, and I'm sure Tommy will chime in.........

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,330 Posts
SJ,

Thanks for the kind words.

I get this question a lot and I try to steer fishermen to the right rod based purely on their individual needs. I look at target species (in this case cobia, drum and shark), payload to be cast and need for distance vs comfort to hold.

Based on your criteria, I believe you have narrowed the field down nicely. My next question would be this, what weight will you throw most of the time? Consider not just the sinker but the payload. I would steer you to the rod that keeps that "target" payload weight in the middle of the rod rating. In other words, if you usually throw 5 or 6 and small baits then the 4-8 would be your choice. This rod smokes 6oz and does a decent enough job with 8 but much above that the rod is overmatched. It is not a true heaver but what I call a light heaver.

The 13' 6-10 is a great rod. It was my first heaver and still a top seller. If you tend to throw 6-8 and bait then this is the right choice. It handles 8oz and a head just fine, casts great and fights a fish very well.

The 8-12 is my flagship "drum rod". It is basically the 6-10 with 15-20% more power through the midsection and tip. This added power changes the action a bit. It is more of a moderate action vs the faster action of the 6-10. It is easy to cast, handles the big payloads with ease and does a great job fighting and landing the bigger species. If you lean toward the heavier weights, the 8-12 may be easier to handle than the 6-10 based on the moderate action. One thing that surprised me about the 8-12 is that it still does a good job with 6 and bait if you have a pretty good cast.

The next thing to address is reel seat placement. The factory 4-8 is 30" from butt to reel seat center, the 6-10 is 31.5" and the 8-12 is 32.5". At 6'4 with a 6'7" wingspan to need to consider seat placement. A quick check is to hold a rod directly out to your side (horizontal) with the butt at center of your chest. Grab the rod comfortably in your outstretched right hand. Measure from the center of your hand to the butt. This will give a rough guide to your proper seat placement for a heaver. For most guys this is around 30-31". With my factory rods, I tried my best to "fit the masses" but this may not apply to all.

I can offer custom rods or can have a reel seat moved on a factory rod, both add labor and as such cost.

Hope this helps!

Tommy

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the good information! Sorry it took a while to reply, I've been pretty jammed up at work recently. A couple days ago I picked up a 13ft 4-8 breakaway HDX from another member just tovstart practicing with the reel, before I get my ducks in a row to order my castpro. Preliminary results really showed me what this reel will be capable of once I get my technique honed down and regrease my gears and oil my bearings. It also showed me that the 13' 6-10 should fit the bill perfectly. I was able to stop by the tournament on Saturday but was only able watch for a few minutes before I had to leave, hopefully after this season I'll be out there with you guys next year! I think I also might leave the BY on the breakaway and order an Akios to go with my cast pro... But we shall see how my wallet feels then.

Tommy, I tested the butt on HDX as you instructed and find it to be perfectly comfortable, I don't if it's optimal for casting but I shall find out.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
The 12'8 is a great rod. Love throwing mine. I don't have 17 but do have several and love um all. Gotta put my hands on the 8' for sure..

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You must mean for sale in your tackle shop:).
Nope I fish with everyone of them. 8'-13', different fish at different distances. When Susan and I go on the beach we have to take two trucks to carry all our rods. You never know whats going to bite any given day. The worst thing you can do is fish for yesterdays fishing report.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Nope I fish with everyone of them. 8'-13', different fish at different distances. When Susan and I go on the beach we have to take two trucks to carry all our rods. You never know whats going to bite any given day. The worst thing you can do is fish for yesterdays fishing report.
Yeah I hear you. I am now feeling way under powered with my 6 rods. ( 4 CCP's )

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
looks like I will be getting my 4th CPS this coming weekend 13' 6-10 oz rod, others are 10' 1-4, 11' 2-5, 12' 3-7, swore the last rod I was done lol. I have fished with Percy and Susan and yes are loaded with tackle

·
Registered
110 Posts
looks like I will be getting my 4th CPS this coming weekend 13' 6-10 oz rod, others are 10' 1-4, 11' 2-5, 12' 3-7, swore the last rod I was done lol. I have fished with Percy and Susan and yes are loaded with tackle
Very nice rod. I have a custom 14ft 8-12 rod and it is a beast. Just know whatever CPS rod you choose, you made a good choice :)

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
after casting it for a less than a week I really love the 6-10 rod, even had my Mrs bombing the 2-5 oz 11' conventional setup never having thrown one before ... the look on her face on the third cast hitting around 80 yards with 4oz weight two fleas and levelwind 6500 Abu was pure heaven

1 - 17 of 17 Posts