Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a lucky guy, I've fished from Florida to Nantucket, as a kid I fished some in Jersey, fish some in Delaware, and I fish the Chesapeake Bay. If I get to the point where I could live where I want, so that I can fish from the surf, enjoy the weather for the longest part of the year, be able to afford housing on a working guys pension, I just can't seem to figure out where to settle.

I really only like to throw topwater or metal, no 8 n'bait. I don't care to bottom fish much, but I do okay as an advanced novice with a fly rod. With these things in mind, where would you guys suggest I consider.

Really, I need input from the wealth of experience here on the board. I'd like to start visiting some potential spots.

Thanks very much for giving me some advice on this question.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've been a lucky guy, I've fished from Florida to Nantucket, as a kid I fished some in Jersey, fish some in Delaware, and I fish the Chesapeake Bay. If I get to the point where I could live where I want, so that I can fish from the surf, enjoy the weather for the longest part of the year, be able to afford housing on a working guys pension, I just can't seem to figure out where to settle.

I really only like to throw topwater or metal, no 8 n'bait. I don't care to bottom fish much, but I do okay as an advanced novice with a fly rod. With these things in mind, where would you guys suggest I consider.

Really, I need input from the wealth of experience here on the board. I'd like to start visiting some potential spots.

Thanks very much for giving me some advice on this question.
Without a doubt for me, and I will be retiring in 3.5 years at 62, North Carolina is the place with Wilmington, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher being my top choices. Fort Fisher has surf fishing on one side, tidal creeks on the other side and within 200 yards of each other.

You can drive on the beach, fish pretty much year round and the cost of living is very reasonable.

Nothing like twilight fishing from the surf after Sept at the Fort. The only place that could be better would be the Outer Banks.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Without a doubt for me, and I will be retiring in 3.5 years at 62, North Carolina is the place with Wilmington, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher being my top choices. Fort Fisher has surf fishing on one side, tidal creeks on the other side and within 200 yards of each other.

You can drive on the beach, fish pretty much year round and the cost of living is very reasonable.

Nothing like twilight fishing from the surf after Sept at the Fort. The only place that could be better would be the Outer Banks.
Hate to sound like a broken record, but I second that. When you compare the cost of living, the endless backwater fishing, and some of the best surf fishing in the state, Wilmington/Carolina Beach area has to be the best fit overall. If you can't find fishing in any of these areas that you like, you aren't looking. There are plenty of smaller towns around the areas that will accommodate any price range for a house that you are looking for. Wrightsville Beach to Leland to Monkey Junction, there are homes available for every budget in mind. I was in the process of moving to the area when my little one was born a couple years ago. Can't rip my parents first grandchild from them now. :( LOL

Robert

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Manteo NC. Close to everything the OBX and Hatteras has to offer.....only 3-6 more years to go.....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hate to sound like a broken record, but I second that. When you compare the cost of living, the endless backwater fishing, and some of the best surf fishing in the state, Wilmington/Carolina Beach area has to be the best fit overall. If you can't find fishing in any of these areas that you like, you aren't looking. There are plenty of smaller towns around the areas that will accommodate any price range for a house that you are looking for. Wrightsville Beach to Leland to Monkey Junction, there are homes available for every budget in mind. I was in the process of moving to the area when my little one was born a couple years ago. Can't rip my parents first grandchild from them now. :( LOL

Robert
I love the old time, Mom and Pop Motel 1960's feel of Kure Beach. No gaudy touristy "Dolly World/Hard Rock Cafe/Planet Hollywood" crap to be found. Good salt of the earth people have been running the place for years, and they don't want to change and ain't gonna change.

Only grocery store is a Food Lion Grocery just after you cross the bridge, one liqueur store(at least that is all I have found:D) several good Mom/Pop Bait Shops, no Walmart, but several good Hardware Stores that sell nails and bolts alongside good fishing reels/rigs and fresh frozen bait.

Speaking of the liqueur store, I buzzed in there one day last year to pick up some Vodka and there was a tourist dude in there that was definitely one or two shots over the limit and the clerk politely refused to sell him any more. Just so happened the town sheriff was off duty and standing beside the counter in his civies. He took the guy outside, did not arrest him but put him in the back of his squad car, made him leave his car in the parking lot and took him back to his hotel and never charged him.

Now if that ain't Mayberry RFD and Andy Griffin, I don't know what is:D

God I love that place.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Just curious, what do you guys like about NC that is superior to Florida, which is warm all year? I'm not debating as I haven't really experienced North Carolina too much, just curious as to your reasoning. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
From my experience, just a different caliber of people. I am not intending to stereotype, just my experience. More laid back around here.

Robert

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Just curious, what do you guys like about NC that is superior to Florida, which is warm all year? I'm not debating as I haven't really experienced North Carolina too much, just curious as to your reasoning. Thanks guys.
You get a change in the seasons,,, a change in fish,,,maybe some snow,,probably not. You get people selling sweet potatoes on the side of the road in late summer. You get to feel the coming chill of winter setting in around Oct and the promise of warm winds and better times in April and May. You get to see the migration of birds in spring and fall and to me one of the most amazing things I have ever seen is Monarch Butterflies coming IN from the ocean to rest and feed around Sept on their way down to S America. Took me a long to time to absorb that one. I am talking big WOW. Seeing butterflies come IN from the OCEAN and go, where the hell have u been. Unreal

Life dude,,life and all the changes without too much change.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You get a change in the seasons,,, a change in fish,,,maybe some snow,,probably not. You get people selling sweet potatoes on the side of the road in late summer. You get to feel the coming chill of winter setting in around Oct and the promise of warm winds and better times in April and May. You get to see the migration of birds in spring and fall and to me one of the most amazing things I have ever seen is Monarch Butterflies coming IN from the ocean to rest and feed around Sept on their way down to S America. Took me a long to time to absorb that one. I am talking big WOW. Seeing butterflies come IN from the OCEAN and go, where the hell have u been. Unreal

From what I understand there are no fish in NC, so if I were ya'll I'd move to FL. ;) :p

·
Registered
134 Posts

Very cool post. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts

Ok, put the visitnc.com pamphlet down and let us know how you really feel! LOL Send that to the tourist department, you might make some fishing money. :) (how much you want to bet most of that was typed with his eyes closed, reliving each moment he was typing? I for one started smell sweet potatoes at one point)

Robert

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.