Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading to the coast of NC this weekend to surf fish. I don't have a 4 wheel drive so was looking for some help on the best place to go that I can park and walk to the beach. Also where to get bait and what kind to get. Looking for stripers.

If someone looking for a fishing partner, I'll be happy to join you. I'm leaving late on Friday so will be there before sunrise.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
MC, I 'm glad to see you're coming back. I would start up in KH where we all met and ride South looking at the ocean as you go. All the KH and NH beachs are easy walk overs. If you make it to OI park in the lot at Coquina Beach and walk over there. If you make it to Hatteras go South and look at the ocean, easy walk over.
Good Luck, I hope you slam one.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Fresh bait maybe an issue this time of year so you might want to go to your local seafood dealer and pick up some fresh fish/bait to get you started. You will most likely not find bunker heads at the seafood market so look for something you might catch in the surf, spot, croaker and so on. Also you can call tackle shops in the area and see if they will hold some for ya, but that can be disappointing if some else took more than their fare share. Water temps have been warmer further south, better for stripers, you may want to check this before you leave. Hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hey Mapcaster

I will be staying at DD's place and am by myself. I have room for you to ride with me if you get down that far. You can leave a message here anytime before Friday if you want. Hope to get into some stripers but it looks like it is going to be mighty cold, so dress warm.
BTW there are two beds in the room I have if you want to share the rent.

Tight lines...

Ken

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
MC et al,

NS4D & I are looking at Saturday and 1/2+ Sunday OBX run possible as far south as DD's. Been attempting to keep the finger on Rockfish pulse to maximize catch or even the blitz potential :rolleyes:

And from what I'm hearing of late looks like northerner beachs Corolla to Nags Head may be way to go which would be counter to water temp factor - go figure.

Plan to make call on Friday night depending on reports given Thursday-Friday NW blow etc. Working together, we can hopefully get us all on some kind of bite this weekend ;)

Catch ya down yonder,

`bucket

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey good luck if you get down there, I was in Kitty Hawk mile post 4 last week. I didnt catch anything from the surf, went out on a charter on the 4th only one fish the warm front had slowed things down for a few days. After the cold front went through last week things did pick back up some, saw charters about 2 miles out at mile post 4. checked the fish report found a few boats that were at that location. Nailed them they said around 50 catch and release. I fished OI under the catwalk ocean side i think it was wednesday evening, nothing. I know they were catching a few at Coquina Beach last week still but not many. The week b/f that they were catching them right and left, I would check out Coquina beach. I was able to get bait with no prob. tackle shops were open and gas station on beach road had bait also. Sounds like things are going great again with catching the rock fish, hopefully things will stay that way for some time so I might be able to get a shot at them again. Good luck let us know how you do

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kenmefish

Thanks for your offer. I'll take you up on it after seeing how you did at KD. Maybe I'll get lucky and a fish will confuse my bait for yours.

I'll take your offer on the room for Saturday night too if that is still open. But be warned, I'm told I have a heck of a snore. I don't believe it, I have never heard it. I'll send you a PM for the details.

Thanks for the offer. Being new to this coast it's appriciated.

mapcaster

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
MC, looking forward to seeing you again. I'll be at DD's as well. Don't worry about snoring, Ken does too. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZZZZZ ZZZZZ ZZZZ

Sounds like the guys in the rooms next to us better bring thier earplugs.

Cdog, Looking forward to fishing with you again. I almost asked if I could tag along on the trip you got those 2 nice stripers but ended up taking the wife to see "Rent" that weekend. I downloaded the picture you posted and put one on her CPU desktop with the note "That could be me". She's almost forcing me to go fishing this weekend. I'll see you there.

mapcaster

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Re: ZZZZZ ZZZZZ ZZZZ

mapcaster said:
Sounds like the guys in the rooms next to us better bring thier earplugs.

Cdog, Looking forward to fishing with you again. I almost asked if I could tag along on the trip you got those 2 nice stripers but ended up taking the wife to see "Rent" that weekend. I downloaded the picture you posted and put one on her CPU desktop with the note "That could be me". She's almost forcing me to go fishing this weekend. I'll see you there.

mapcaster
LOL did I mention I snore? An I'll be in th room next to ya.;) Wish ya had been there,it was a pretty site. Hope this weekend is as good. Cya there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts