Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there fellow fishing nuts--I'll be in Raleigh, NC to give a talk on the the 12th and then will have a rental car and time on my hands from noon Feb 13th to late on the 17th. I've been writing to anyone I can find on the web, and getting much conflicting advice on where to go. Just want to catch fish, not particular, don't have to be huge. I'll have some medium weight spinning tackle and a fly rod with me. Ideal place would have some cheap motels not to far off.
I'm willing to drive all the way down to Florida if I have to, but hate to waste two of those precious days just driving. Leaving town early on the 11th, so I'm gettin' DESPARATE! for some seasoned advice. First time to fish the Atlantic & yeah, I know, it isn't the best time of year by any means. But it's what I got.
Appreciate any and all help on this!
Tom
San Luis Obispo

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kozlow,

Thanks for jumping in here. I really do need some help, fast too! This seems like a serious fishing site so maybe there's someone out there who has something useful to add??
I read a few of your other postings--you're the fishin' philosopher, right? Or was it the fishin' psychologist? I will take your advice and try and get in the zone while I'm fishing the Eastcoast--try and get in the correct frame of mind, to think positive all the time, to think like a fish, a big fish at that. Can't hurt!
Where do you fish? Further south I assume?
Again, thanks for jumping in here.
Tom

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?&country=us&uz=32903&city=Indialantic&state=FL&mag=7 http://www.indialantic.com/contents/history/history.htm
I will uasually fish any one of these beaches
depending on where they are. http://www.flausa.com/interests/beaches/cocoabeaches.php
Also fish the Indian River which is between
the barrier island and the mainland. http://www.at-sea.org/sidebars/IRL.html
I like to go to Flamingo when I can. http://www.americanparks.net/everglades_map.htm
Im not a Philo or a Psycho just a Angler with another angle.

T<----->Lines

Kozlow
P/S Let us know how you did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not a philosopher,(just though I'd add)but if you are near NC.. Lots of pups in the "narrows" from 14 to 20+ inches on light spinning tackle.. Narrows is a streach of beach off ramp 55..
Also lots of reports of scattered stripers from duck pier to oregon inlet..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help!! I wonder where ramp 59 is? Somewhere in NC I expect? Am excited to be traveling and to get to fish n the Atlantic. Whatever I catch will be a plus.
When I get back home again I'll weigh in here and let ya'll know where I went and how the fishing was.
Tom

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Hatteras Island or "The Island" just south would be where I head to. Go to the conditions link on the left then click on North Carolina, then look for the furtherest piece of land to the east. You should find fish there. Listen to DD. To find Ramp 55 find Hwy 12.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Digger,

Thanks much for the tip. It sounds like a plan. Has been driving me nuts here, having no plan of attack at all & I'm leaving town tomorrow at 5 am. So, Ramp 55 find Hwy 12, it is. Am excited already!!!! Muchos gracias.
Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drumdum,Thanks! I'll be fishing there by Feb 14th at the latest! Been some years since I caught a redfish. Looking forward to it all!
Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, back from NC. Started the trip with food poisoning and a night of barffing my guts out--and it went all downhill from there.
Got to the "Narrows" on Hatteras Island and found out I needed 4WD. Not much I could do in my rental Toyota. Fished from the beach anyhow--caught nada.
Went to Ocracoke Island, and slung hardware, jigs, chunks of mullet. Never had so much as a nibble. Moved on down the coast all week. Never did catch a single fish. The weather went from cold to ice to snow. Fishing in NC in February? Y'all can have it!
Tom

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Hey Tom
Sorry to here about the bad experience. Maybe next time you can waste those 2 days and come on down. Well if your ever down this way give me a yell, will hook you up.

T<------>Lines

Kozlow
P/S
Fishing is like a first date . Sometimes you get some , Sometime you don't . :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fishing is like a first date, 'eh? I like that! This fishing was more like a bad blind date.
Actually though, being sick as a dog most of the time and all, it still was a trip. Any fishing is better to me than no fishin'. I did see literally millions of birds flying on down the surfline, and dolphins, hundreds, thousands of dolphins, just off the beach, almost within casting range. They were all heading south, probably to warmer waters. The birds were all heading that direction too. Never have seen so many dolphins.
Tom

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Sorry you were sick, food poisoning sucks(I would have quit there) and then got hit by the freak storm. You did make it to a special place very pretty. I hope the view was at least good. I have heard good reports recently about the puppy drum. I'm sorry it did not work out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ocracoke is a beautiful island and one I'd like to visit again---when the weather is warmer. For so many years now I've read about the great surf fishing off the Outter Banks, and the actual fishing was such a total non event, that I just have to go back there again some day to fish. Maybe with any luck this fall. I'd love to get in on the big bluefish feeding frenzy, although I was told it only lasts for a few days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts