Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking about coming down to florida to stay with my grandparents for christmas this year. all my life i have fished along the outer banks of north carolina and around wilmington, NC now. i've been wanting to come down to florida and try some different species there. i will be staying near davenport which is right in the middle of the state, not really on the coast. when i decide to go fishing, where should i go. i will be bringing a light action 6'6" rod w/ 8 or 10 lb, a medium heavy 8' surf spinning setup, and maybe a heavy action 10 foot spinning setup. is it possible to catch snook or puppy drum this time of year? how about tarpon? will my tackle be enough? any sort of information to get me started would be greatly appreciated.:D

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Isn't Davenport near to Orlando? If so, you could probably make it to either coast. Lots of possibilities there and I wouldn't know where to start as far as recommending places. I would make the general suggestion though of looking at a map and finding the closest inlets driving-wise to where you are staying. Your chances of catching a variety of fish and even something memorable would be greater near almost any inlet. It's also usually easy to get the correct local bait and rig advice from the bait stores near inlets as opposed to just driving to a beach somewhere... don't know, maybe that advice will give you a starting point at least.

Sorry to be vague, there are just a lot of options open to you if you are in the middle of the state. Also, central Florida is known for it's bass fishing - wouldn't hurt to grab a freshwater rod/reel and hit some of those lakes that will more than likely be no more than a 10 minute drive from your grandparen't house when you don't have the time to drive to the coast.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a bunch for the information. all i needed was a general starting point to go from and you have given it to me.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts