Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan on sneaking out of bed late Friday night/Early Saturday morning and make the last trip of the year.

Looking for any drum and flounder that might be around.

Can go anywhere from the outer banks to little river. Will be leaving from Stokesdale (north of Greensboro)

Will be fishing on foot from the surf, banks, or pier.

Trying to figure out which way to go!

Suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, it's going to be beautiful weather, that's for sure. (Unfortunately, it seems the bite is better on cloudy, rainy, nasty days! LOL) As far as I know, almost every place in SE North Carolina is pretty good now as the water is still warm. The back bays and creeks are good for trout (work the lures slowly!) the surf still has some blues (although small) running as well as some good sized whiting. I fish Sunset Beach and have caught several large whiting this week - all between 1-1.5 lbs on fresh shrimp. If I were coming down and looking for a generally good, uncrowded place to fish, I would go to Ocean Isle Beach and fish the east end of the island. It's a good hike to the end (around a mile) but the water is deep and there are not a lot of people out. There's a deep hole on the back side of the point which holds some good fish. The mullet are still running in there so if you have a net you should be able to get a few, but it gets deep at high tide and remains a good spot. Sheffields is the place for bait, tackle and advice, but all of the fish shops have fresh shrimp. Sheffields is on the left just off the bridge.

If you're looking for drum and flounder, you may do better north of the Brunswick County Islands, perhaps at Kure Beach/Fort Fisher or farther north to Wilmington and beyond I haven't ventured that far north yet - LOL I'm afraid if I do, I may get hooked on the good fishing they have. hahaha. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I caught nice size mullet, black drum, blues, flounder (small), small drum, and speckled trout two at a time every cast yesterday. I was in the Buxton & Frisco areas! Worked all day today but heard of some nice puffers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! The OBX is my "jones" but man, thats a helluva "day trip". Gotta be back Sunday for the wife to go shopping so, it is what it is.

Havent decided but was leaning towards Topsail and south..not seeing or hearing any real good reports on what Im looking for except for of course the OBX!

Called around a few tackle shops today and got the same answers almost verbatim from each of em.."sea mullet, blues and puffers"

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
keeter try "seaview crab " on right after monkey j. on the road to c.beach.......the whiting are going for the fleas mostly

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah that's what I've been reading with the reports on here and whiting is what I'm going to be targeting. Am I going to be able to find fleas with my rake or am I better off bringing a shovel and 5 gallon bucket? I know they may be buried deep. Or are there any bait shops or locals down there selling sand fleas? I'm day tripping down from Raleigh on monday so I appreciate any input so i know what to bring. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm going to hit Kure beach at Fort Fisher tomorrow, I haven't been there in years. I heard its closed but the gate is open, can you drive out there without a permit? Where is a good place to stop for bait and tackle near there? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As you are crossing over from Kure beach into Fort Fisher there is a bait and tackle shop on the right..Ft Fisher Trading Post. It's also a place that you refill your tires after airing down for beach driving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Keeter, anybody know the deal on if I need a permit to drive out there tomorrow, where to get one if so? Thanks Guys. Wish me luck, probably the last time I get a hook wet this year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Plan on sneaking out of bed late Friday night/Early Saturday morning and make the last trip of the year.

Looking for any drum and flounder that might be around.

Can go anywhere from the outer banks to little river. Will be leaving from Stokesdale (north of Greensboro)

Will be fishing on foot from the surf, banks, or pier.

Trying to figure out which way to go!

Suggestions welcome!
I had only ~1/2 day to fish on Sunday, so I chose to minimize drive time and maximize fishing time and headed to Johnny Mercers Pier. Felt a bit guilty cheating on Surf City Pier, which opened up for the weekend and where I had some good luck this year. Did not appear folks had any luck with with specs. From ~6:30 AM to noon I caught 7 puffers (lost 2 more) and a cigar minnow. Beautiful December day to be outside!

Regards,
KBueno

Fish Dish Cuisine Seafood Food

1 - 13 of 13 Posts