Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would be a better option for big drum towards the end of October, the piers or the surf? Ramp 43 and 44 will probably still be closed, and itd be a long walk to the point. Ramp 38 is open to ORV's and might be a good option. What do you guys think, the piers or the surf, or wait till November?

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Anywhere from ramp 23 to ramp 38 can be good that time of year.. N beach fishing is fun when conditions are right and you can find a good hole. End of oct can be a great time to fish it. Like it better than the crowded conditions at the point,plus you find your own fish and don't have to do the conga dance to catch one... You kind of have to be a different animal to fish piers,if you like pier fishing go for it.. I'm kind of partial to it myself..

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
How long would you fish a hole? Are there any specifics you look for in a hole/cut? Thanks
I like seeing an entrance and exit to a hole,with deep water nearby.. I usually fish it on both sides of high,but like high going to low.. I'm one of those goofy fishermen that find that one spot,and give it all the chances through the tides.. Although,if I find one with NO LIFE,meaning no sharks or skates,seamullet spot or bait in water,I tend to give that spot less time.. I'll usually find two or three spots,find a way to mark them so I can find them in the dark,if the no life thing happens within an hr or so I move to one of the others.. IF I have confidence in a spot,don't know exactly how to explain,I will give it all night life or not..

·
Registered
955 Posts
Sorta on the goofy fence with ya Kenny. If I find what you described, especially if there is a point there, I will stick it out three hours before to three hours after.Seems nature has embedded an alarm clock in certain bottom feeding species and when the tide turns from high to low it goes off. Some of the best days I ever had at OI on the rocks was one hour before high to two hours after the turn. And that holds true for where I fish most now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts