Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well how bout it everyone? Just where do Spanish mackerel rank on your favorite fish to eat list?

They are moving up on my list rather quickly. I just ate one that had been iced down since yesterday evening and filleted and cooked when I got off work a few hours ago.

I've got tell you it was awesome. I used to give them away and didn't start eating them until about three years ago. I'm gonna be 47-years-old in July.

I can't believe I missed out on them for all those years because of other fishermen I knew trashing them compared to other fish like grouper, snapper, pompano, trout, etc. and such.

I think Florida fishermen are spoiled. LOL

Those Spanish macks are right up there with my other favorite right now, the mangrove or gray snapper. :beer:

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
See my new entry in the recipe section. I really didn't like them until now. I got into some big spanish last weekend and decided to give them another try. Glad I did. I also now have a kid in the house that loves them too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm wondering if it being the next day has anything to do with it?

I've heard more than once that grouper is better the next day than fresh. I haven't had the opportunity to test that, but I wonder if its true, and what other fish would benefit from sitting on ice for a day or so? maybe spanish...

If i catch some I'll eat em and let you know :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Haven't like the spanish that I have tried but plan to try it again the next time I get a couple.Lot of people like them so it could be that I did a bad job of cleaning and preparing.
Jake

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Sometimes I think it's what they have been feeding on... Usually I clean them that day and cook,and always have them fresh.. Thing is one time you eat them they are tasty,next time they are almost flavorless,and next time they taste like :--|

I know if you catch them here after they've spent some time in the Pamlico Sound,they have a fairly strong flavor..

·
Registered
892 Posts
Spanish not #1 but pretty good eating. Because they come in a burst during summer with a 10 fish limit, I always wind up freezing bags of them. They normally feed me into early winter. If you don't eat them you should, The pill makers charge big bucks nowadays for anything with Omega 3, and Mackeral is right up there with Salmon. #1 is probably fresh caught Tuna, Tile, Grouper, and maybe Black Sea Bass.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
With Jody Wilson's (DD's wife) fishcakes or Ryan's (Firespyder) ceviche, some garlic crackers and a splash of chalulah, Id just as soon eat them as anything else....ranks up there with blackened grouper, fresh smallies on the river bank, mahi mahi almost anyway you can fix it and wahoo....although wahoo is summmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm kinda good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know it is more than likely just me but SM's dont even rate on my list of editable fish. As bait, ok, it might make the top 5. Being from the west coast, (Calif) Macks made the best baits for trolling, pier fishing, surf fishing. But as table fare, not even close. Like I said, it is probably my palet but it takes a top notch fish to make my top 5 to eat. #1 Grilled Swordfish steaks Thi marrinated for 24 hrs. #2 Blackened grouper. #3 Dolphin. #4 (Not well known) Trigger fish. #5 Any shellfish. Pompano aren't even very high on my list. But they are editable. Call me spoiled I guess. Always open to new suggestions on any fish I haven't tried though.

One thought though. It was mentioned about being fresh Vs. sitting a day on ice. There may be someting to this. The best quality beef is aged under controlled conditions. There may be some species of fish that under controlled conditions may be even better than fresh. Will have to investagate that aspect.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
In terms of what we catch from the surf and pier down in South Carolina, I don't like Spannies as well as pompano, flounder, or specks, but they're one of my favorites cooked in the oven with butter/salt if they're fresh. The ones I've eaten have always been fresh. I heard a long time ago they weren't very good frozen. Now that I think about it, I don't believe I ever tried them panfried either. HDW, I had triggerfish one time, and they were good. I agree, but I've never caught one.

Also, bigger sea robins are pretty tasty to me.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
spanish

I think its all in how you prepare them.I would give all of them away because I had heard they were very oily.One day a guy came to avalon pier in N.C. an gave me a piece he fried,when I asked him what they were I was totally supprised.He showed me you have to filet them, lay'em with skin down take your knife and run it between the skin an meat to remove the skin.Turn it over with the dark meat(blood line) up,cut that out.Then it is ready to be cooked.I do all my fish this way now.Removing the dark meat takes out the strong taste some people dont like.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wasn't necessarily advocating leaving them sit for a day, however I don't think it really affects the taste as long as they are iced down real good.

I too have heard they do not freeze well, so iced down for a day is considered fresh to me.

I also skin the fillets and cut out the blood line. I think cooking without the bloodline definitely gets rid of any strong taste.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I love spanish, but then again I think smoked filets from a 15-pound bluefish are the oceangoing equivalent of bacon.

As some posters have noted, you need to ice spanish mackerel down immediately and eat them within a day or two. It also helps to gut and gill them as quickly as possible.

My favorite preparation is to cut some slits in the side and marinate them in Italian dressing for a few hours, then wrap in foil and grill. Ceviche and sashimi are also really good.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
They are not too bad. I have cooked them wrapped in foil with onion,green pepper and chunked tomato some butter and salt /pepper. I like Sand Flea's Italian dressing idea that sounds good.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.