Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to eat at Bubba's restraunt on sunday. (i reccomend the fish n' chips) saw a big carcass layingin the surf. identified the fillet to be a mahi-mahi(dolphin). askd the cook and apparently they don't serve mahi-mahi. and Bubba's isn't a really big ramp, at least not big enough to launch a big Gulf-Stream boat in. so that leaves the question, do dolphin come in close enough to be caught in smaller boats or even the bigger piers? just a thought. :confused:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am sure some folks have caught them in smaller boats, but I doubt it is possible to have them within range of any pier.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Every few years one comes up at the end of Avalon pier. The trouble is that it is way to cold for one to swim away from the gulf stream, much less 100 miles toward land. All I can think is that it popped out of someone's fishbox in rough water, jumped out of someone's hand during picture-time, or had a brain tumor :eek: ! My .02$.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Down in Carolina after they clean th fish they will take th remains out into th sound an dump em.One of th boats outta Lynhaven mighta dumped an it just washed up.

BTW acoulpe years ago I heard of someone catching a tuna in th Bay.Don't know if that was a fishing urban legend or not.
;)

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
prolly little tunny--albert, dog.

Little boats definitely go out of Bubba's and run offshore. Little early for dolphin straight out, but a boat coulda gone on an overniter and headed south.

·
Registered
668 Posts
2 summers ago we were rigging of the end of kitty hawk, in july i think, and a whole school if mahi came in to the pier. what a site, hitting gotchas. many landed, what a beautiful fish, most 2 to 3 ft.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Nah Doc th story as I heard it was it was a 50+ pound Yellowfin,or maybe bluefin.Leetle old boat too. Or am I starting a "legend"? :D

Demonfish,I remember that we had just gotten skunked on a offshore trip an th captain says we shoulda been on th Beach today.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only thing I really have to say, and I think everyone will agree with me, is that when you go fishing, no matter where or when you can never be sure what youre gonna catch or whats gonna happen. Thats the glory of fishing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ok, here I go to back to the stacks and stacks of pics I have. Hopefully I'll find the pic of the bluefin caught at Little Island pier. There 2-3 bluefins swimming in circles near the pier that morning. Angel Villalpondo threw a large cast net at it a couple of times before he netted it. The fish weighed an easy 100lbs.

The following year, Rob ("Donk") - a regular at LIP - found another bluefin that had stranded at the mouth of Lynnhaven. The fish was still alive. He wrestled with it all the way to his truck and hualed it home.

I have also heard of small sailfish being caught from OBX piers. Catching pelagic fish is not an impossibility, but it is a rarity though. You just have to be there at the right time.....

Lou

·
Registered
300 Posts
I hear that dolphins come in big groups to the end of Lynnhaven pier in the summer and then head out by the beach on the left side (inlet side). From what people tell me you can watch them swimming all over there.

I don't want to catch a dolphin but a picture would be awesome when they are jumping.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
GDude the catching kind are Dolphin (fish) or mahi-mahi as they call them in the restaurantes (fancy name = more $$$).The take a picture of kind are Dolphin (mammals), you know like Flipper.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Never see 'em come close enough to hit a pin rig, but could you imagine. That would be one helluva ride. Can you say spooled in 10 seconds!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts