Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question as far as finding my own live bait. I know there are some bait shops that sell them but I was wondering where I could actually pull them out of the water myself. I plan on getting a bait bucket with an aerator to keep them alive but I want to find a spot I know I can get them. I see a lot of open water everywhere I go but I don't want to go out searching and come out empty handed. Do I have to look for specific areas or can I just go some where? Do I need to use something to draw them near like breadcrumbs? I know the bread crumbs things is odd but I was fishing with a friend and his bait bucket had bread inside with the minnows he had. I had a lot of luck with the live bait.

Please Help! :confused:

OD

·
Registered
926 Posts
What kind of bait ?

For minnows, look around the boat Ramp, piers , cleaning stations, rockt or grassy areas usually within the first 3-10 of shore line or structures . if at night look for lighted waster areas . Need scraps to draw them near look into the trash around the Boat ramps or piers .I have used all kind of things tomatoes,French fries,kfc Chicken, slim Jim's ,dog food, just about anything works.

For crabs anything meaty or With bones and a piece line.. You can also scrap the pylons or wall structures.

Sabiki rigs work great for small bait fish..

Cast nets are great way as well

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a sabiki rig I can use. Next time i am out i am going to try to use that to try to catch some smaller fish. I've done a little research and i seen that i just put a weight on it and let it sit until i feel something. The cast net is gooing to be a gift to myself for christmas. How long does the minnow trap have to be set out for?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.